cleats/vs pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big boy

After reading the thread where the chap had knee problems i thaught i would ask this question.
Im not going to ask what is best but maybe what difference you have experienced using cleats.
Im no racer im 50 overweight and smoke but do enjoy a workout on the bike, be it ten or twenty miles of cycling.
Am i going to benifit from changing to cleets??
Im askin cos my right foot in perticular does tend to point outwards, i have to make myself bring it back into line.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Unless you are a racer you really dont need to be clipped in at all.
I suffered knee pain using clipless went back to flat pedals for a while and didnt notice any appreciable difference in speed. Now I cant see me going back to being clipped in.

The convenience of wearing trainers is great.

PpPete

Legendary Member
a different opinion...
Whilst cleats are not necessary they give a much better "connection" to the bike IME (and I changed from clips/straps to clipless well past the age of 50)
That said someone with knee probs might well struggle.
But trainers rarely have a stiff enough sole to be comfortable over any distance with flat pedals.

GBC

Veteran
I'm 58 and overweight and changed from toeclips to cleats within the last four weeks. I don't regret it for a minute, though I'm certainly not going any faster - I do think though that I'm using less energy per mile. I'd put it off for a long time as I was worried about an 'off', and if you're like me, you're probably past the stage of the 'parachute roll' when you go down - more like a heavy thud. Having got used them now, I really can't see why on earth I was worried and I honestly wish I'd changed years ago.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I can still parachute roll.... sometimes, after a few minutes warm-up exercises and stretching, and several minutes warning of the need to do so !

Davehateshills

Just joined the 'clipped-in' brigade. I did a 30 mile ride on Sat and managed 50 miles today. It's so much better, you feel part of the bike and I wish that I had made the change months ago. ^_^

Typhon

I'm debating making the switch myself. My main grievance with free pedalling is that in the rain my feet continually slip off the pedals. And unfortunately, they are conditions I'm going to have to get used to over the next.......7 months or so.....

defy-one

I actually have more discomfort from my right knee on flat pedals. My feet move around and my knee isn't aligned.
Going clipless alows me to ride much much further. I went for them the same day i picked up Defy One - and havn't regretted my decision

Tenorman

Another vote for clipless. I'm 41 and I made the change about 4 years ago. Of course, I had a couple of embarrassing SPD moments when I came to a halt and couldn't understand why my feet were welded to the pedals, but I've got past that point now.I have some specific knee exercises from the physio for a knee problem, but she thinks that clipless on the bike is a real help.

wealthysoup

When you get them set up properly the clipless. Although they are a pain when stopping suddenly they are so much more comfortable than trainers and it's nice being able to pull (although that makes a minimal difference, cycle with 1 leg and you'll notice it)

RWright

Guru
I have a bad knee and went clipless a few hundred miles ago. I have not had any problems. I use cleets without a lot of float but my walking stride is very straight and I think that helped. I knew I wanted my cleats as far back as I could get them on my shoes so I did that and so far all has been fine...but this varies according to the individual I think. I have not adjusted anything except a slight saddle height adjustment and have not experienced any unusual discomfort. I might have just got lucky on the initial set up but so far so good and I like riding with clipless.

OP
OP
B

Big boy

Ok so cleats do have an advantage, i know very little about it all so..
I have to get new pedals, they do look very small but whatever.
And i also have to get a new pair or shoes or trainer with all the bits to fit the cleats.
What sorta money are we talking about here, i wont be going top end price..
Oh thanks for the input.

Top Bottom