cleats/vs pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
For details see the other thread, I had knee trouble with clipless, as a result back to clips and straps.

No problem over remembering to unclip if you're used to clips and straps, otherwise expect a few moments. While I find no difference between clipless and clips, both are a big improvement over plain flat pedals IME.

Just be aware of possible joint issues in knees or ankles, and if you get them stop. Otherwise good luck

hoopdriver

Guru
I much prefer flat pedals. I have ridden many thousands of miles of bicycles for nearly 50 years and although I have tried clipless, and had no trouble with the unclipping at stoplights etc. i just simply didn't like them. I like flats, i like the simplicity of going for a ride no matter what footwear I am wearing, and I like the aesthetics of the classsic flat pedal. For the kinds of pleasure riding I do I really don't need the claimed performance benefits of clipless.

screenman

Legendary Member
Davidc, you must be extremely unlucky or the cleats were not set correctly. Clips and straps, with or without cleats? either way not a lot of movement for the foot and far more trouble to get in or out of, even more so when tightened.

I would say maybe that the more sporting cyclist feels the benefits of going clipped in.

Chris-H

Über Member
I'm having problems with hot foot since going clipless(a numbing of the ball of my foot and toes),i paid out £100 for a pro bike fit last week to finally get it sorted but that has'nt helped either.At my wits end now as i love the connection you feel with the bike whilst clipped in,brought new shoes pedals and cleats,tried both spd and sl and still have hot foot :sad:

RWright

Guru
I'm having problems with hot foot since going clipless(a numbing of the ball of my foot and toes),i paid out £100 for a pro bike fit last week to finally get it sorted but that has'nt helped either.At my wits end now as i love the connection you feel with the bike whilst clipped in,brought new shoes pedals and cleats,tried both spd and sl and still have hot foot :sad:

Try unclipping every once in a while and moving your foot and leg around, it may help, I do it every ten miles or so anyway.

Davidc

Guru
Davidc, you must be extremely unlucky or the cleats were not set correctly. Clips and straps, with or without cleats? either way not a lot of movement for the foot and far more trouble to get in or out of, even more so when tightened.

I would say maybe that the more sporting cyclist feels the benefits of going clipped in.

No, the cleats were set correctly, just don't adjust out enough for my legs. The consultant was in no doubt either.

As far as clips and straps go, there's much more range for foot position, and when I did go fast that was all there was, and it was never a problem provided they were adjusted well.

I have no issue with people wanting to use cleats, but the possible side effects should be known about.

screenman

Legendary Member
I remember using toe clips and straps along with cleats, there was no movement in the foot when strapped in.

jakeagusta

How did they make the adjustment to your cleats ? By eye, plumb line or cleat tool? As you are aware this could be down to the sizing of the shoe or even the material of your sock.

stephen.rooke

there bloody amazing for sprinting. i put a lot of power through the pedal pulling it up and certainly gives more speed and is safer than pedals / clips

Chris-H

Über Member
How did they make the adjustment to your cleats ? By eye, plumb line or cleat tool? As you are aware this could be down to the sizing of the shoe or even the material of your sock.
They used plumb line,and eyes basically,i had to go a size bigger in shoe as my normal size was too tight and i'm using Altura socks.

Top Bottom