1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cleats

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Ranger, 3 May 2008.

1. Ranger

Ranger New Member

This may seem like a daft question but it's the sort of thing I think about when sitting at work on a Bank Holiday weekend, but how do I know when my cleats are worn out?

I tighten up the clamps when they feel sloppy, so is it when I run out of adjustment or is there something else I should look for?

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

The front tip is usually the first bit to go, keep an eye on how that wears. It is a good idea to have a replacement pair ready so you can compare them from time to time. It isn't funny when you discover a worn cleat on a ride, as your foot keeps pulling out when you stand on the pedals.

3. Is it road bike cleats, I asked a similar question a few weeks back, it seems like it was down to how much you walk in them and you know there worn down when you have difficulty clipping in/out.

4. bonj2

bonj2 Guest

When they look it.

5. RedBike

RedBike New Member

When you start accidentally releasing from your pedals or there's loads of play when clipped in.

6. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

although your foot can unclip unexpectedly due to the cleat being incorrectly positioned. i had that with a new pair of shoe/cleats, and it was solved by rotating the cleat slightly.