Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steven2907

Regular
Pretty new to the cycling world, had my kuota kharma for around 8 weeks, really like the bike. Never used cleats before though. They are spoiling my cycling enjoyment. I know the easy answer is to not use them and change the pedals but is there something I am doing wrong, only fell over once, into some bushes. Lucky as it could have been on the road. And help would be appreciated. Should I persevere or give up. Had a few shaky moments.

Biker Joe

Über Member
I would say stick with it.
They do feel a little strange at first but persevere and clipping in and out will soon become second nature .
Ride around a bit, somewhere quiet, and spend some time just clipping in and out till you feel better about it.

Pretty new to the cycling world, had my kuota kharma for around 8 weeks, really like the bike. Never used cleats before though. They are spoiling my cycling enjoyment. I know the easy answer is to not use them and change the pedals but is there something I am doing wrong, only fell over once, into some bushes. Lucky as it could have been on the road. And help would be appreciated. Should I persevere or give up. Had a few shaky moments.

My youngest was riding clip-ins at age 7. Unless you want to be out-done by a seven year old, I would keep at it.

OP
OP
Steven2907

Steven2907

Regular
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I will keep at it. Not the most natural things to use are they.

As to the 7 year old. My excuse is they learn so quick and have no fear of the consequences

I am 52. Older and more wise.

Ha ha.

Not the most natural things to use are they.

Completely natural - once you get the hang of it. Having the correct setup also helps - if the cleats are in the wrong place/wrong angle on the shoes then they will never feel right.

vickster

Legendary Member
What is it you don't like about it?

Do you use SPD or SPD SL, which pedals? Set the tension as low as possible to make clipping as easy as possible. Double sided pedals can also facilitate the process. My biggest frustration with my touring pedals is that they are always the wrong way round when I set off from lights!

I've had a few close calls on clipless moments, not yet fallen...although I have of course just jinxed myself :wacko:

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Happens to everyone occasionally, I watched my mate topple over on his very expensive carbon bike yesterday, and he's been riding clipless pedals for over 20 years, and I would class him as an extremely good bike handler.

Once you get used to them, even with the odd mishap, you will never want to ride anything without clipping in.

OP
OP
Steven2907

Steven2907

Regular
image.jpg
These are my peddles and shoes
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 20

vickster

Legendary Member
Ah SPD SL type - they are a bit harder to master than the SPD pedals. I think you can still loosen the tension though

Top Bottom