cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunners50

hello everybody,could somebody please tell me if these pedals take cleats,many thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0209.JPG
    DSCN0209.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSCN0208.JPG
    DSCN0208.JPG
    135.8 KB · Views: 51

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't think so. No modern cleats anyhow. Look like they had straps initially.

If you want clipless, pedals to take SPD cleats (recessed) can be got for under £20 including cleats (you'd need compatible shoes of course)

OP
OP
gunners50

gunners50

Don't think so. No modern cleats anyhow. Look like they had straps initially.

If you want clipless, pedals to take SPD cleats (recessed) can be got for under £20 including cleats (you'd need compatible shoes of course)
thank you so much for your reply,will take to local bike shop and see if he can change the pedals,thanks again

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png image.png
very grateful for your reply,do you think its possible to get cleat pedals put on the bike,if so what type of cleats would i need,these are the shoes i have,hope you dont mind me asking,many thanks
Yes, your bike will take any pedal. Your shoes pictured will take either SPD or SPD-SL cleats. If you are not familiar with cleated pedals I would usually advise SPD as they are slightly easier in my opinion to clip in/out. Unfortunately the shoes you have don't allow for a recessed metal SPD cleat so it can be pretty hazardous walking on an exposed metal cleat, you can use them and I'm sure many on the forum do but in my experience you have to be careful when walking especially on wet concrete/Tarmac.
Here are the links to both your options, each set of pedals will come with cleats.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/look-keo-classic-2-pedals/#pid=12579
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-clipless-spd-m520-pedals/#pid=20712
The Look Keo pedals are SPD-SL.
The Shimano M520 pedals are SPD.
You may get the Shimano pedals a little cheaper elsewhere but the Look ones are a bargain.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
SPD metal cleats will be super slippy, even more so that SPD-SL as above...concrete, tile, wood etc

rrarider

Veteran
On the same subject, I have a question. I still ride a lightweight 1984 Raleigh with alloy quill pedals and toe clips and straps. My Adidas Eddy Merckx cycling shoes have a unique cleat type and the shoes' fabric is now quite worn.

Is it possible to get an adapter for the pedals which would allow the use of more modern (SPD?) shoes, which I believe you place on the pedal and twist the foot to engage the cleat ?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
On the same subject, I have a question. I still ride a lightweight 1984 Raleigh with alloy quill pedals and toe clips and straps. My Adidas Eddy Merckx cycling shoes have a unique cleat type and the shoes' fabric is now quite worn.

Is it possible to get an adapter for the pedals which would allow the use of more modern (SPD?) shoes, which I believe you place on the pedal and twist the foot to engage the cleat ?
No not that I'm aware of.

OP
OP
gunners50

gunners50

View attachment 335077 View attachment 335073
Yes, your bike will take any pedal. Your shoes pictured will take either SPD or SPD-SL cleats. If you are not familiar with cleated pedals I would usually advise SPD as they are slightly easier in my opinion to clip in/out. Unfortunately the shoes you have don't allow for a recessed metal SPD cleat so it can be pretty hazardous walking on an exposed metal cleat, you can use them and I'm sure many on the forum do but in my experience you have to be careful when walking especially on wet concrete/Tarmac.
Here are the links to both your options, each set of pedals will come with cleats.
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/look-keo-classic-2-pedals/#pid=12579
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano-clipless-spd-m520-pedals/#pid=20712
The Shimano M520 pedals are SPD.
You may get the Shimano pedals a little cheaper elsewhere but the Look ones are a bargain.
thanks again you"ve been very helpful

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Please excuse me being 'picky' but Look Keo are not SPD-SL , the latter are made by Shimano and the cleats are not compatible with the old Look Deltas or the Look Keo family of pedals.
could somebody please tell me if these pedals take cleats
They do but you would not want to use them now - that 'system' is 40? years old.
Edit: See this thread and the links therein.
The shoes you picture, OP, are really ones which are normally used with Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats (there are a few others, including clones) but the Shimano ones and Look ones are the most common and work). As @vickster says: "SPD metal cleats will be super slippy".

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Please excuse me being 'picky' but Look Keo are not SPD-SL , the latter are made by Shimano and the cleats are not compatible with the old Look Deltas or the Look Keo family of pedals.

They do but you would not want to use them now - that 'system' is 40? years old.
Edit: See this thread and the links therein.
The shoes you picture, OP, are really ones which are normally used with Shimano SPD-SL or Look Keo pedals/cleats (there are a few others, including clones) but the Shimano ones and Look ones are the most common and work). As @vickster says: "SPD metal cleats will be super slippy".
You are quite correct, SPD-SL are Shimano, I should have been more clear, Look Keo cleats use the same fixing points as SPD-SL but as you say the cleats are not compatable with each other. Apologies.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
You can get rubber covers for SPD, SPD-SL and Look cleats, the cleats actually aren't as hard to walk in as some will have you believe (although of course you should take care on hard floors in the wet), but the covers do make the walking more assured.
The Look cleats actually have little rubber inserts in the corners on some models which make them a little grippier than SPD in most circumstances.

Top Bottom