Clevedon to Bristol Ice watch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James Blackwell

Hi all,
I took to the main roads today avoiding the cycle path between Nailsea and Flax Bourton. Did anyone use it this morning and if so, what was it like? I dont mind the route I took in the mornings, but tonight when pitch black I would rather avoid.

Hope you all made it where ever you were going safely.

James

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Isn't that cycle track gravel? If so, there's probably still grip even when lightly frozen. I'd be more worried about the roads between it and Nailsea (Backwell Bow) and Cambridge Batch (Old Weston Road) because they're not gritted. http://map.n-somerset.gov.uk/winter.html

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

No, the cycle route between nailsea and flax bourton is very nice smooth tarmac. Last week (Thursday) on a frost it was slippy and not pleasant to cycle along.

The B3130 was well gritted and actually pothole free. Nice map, nice to know these things exist. Thank you.

OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Wow. When was it rebuilt? The first surface was awful.

I have no idea, I only found it in this current state. I have been using it for about three years now.

[QUOTE 4114103, member: 45"]It's quite sunny now, I doubt there will be any surface ice on the way home. I've been down a few lanes on the scooter this morning around the same area and didn't see any ice.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it does seem warmer than they forecast so will probably go that way instead. It just gets quite wet down some of those lanes as you well know. I would not normally worry, but came off on ice there last year and it bloody hurt, would rather not do that again.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Did you make it ok? There are trees along side that route and where I was in Bristol, anywhere which didn't get direct sunshine was still frosty/icy in the evening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
James Blackwell

James Blackwell

Yeah survived OK. It was only slightly patchy so nothing too worrying. Just me that let it down. Amazing how the cold air removes your normal zip and stamina. Car today as I dont leave for home until later tonight, so hopefully Thursday a bit warmer.

U

User482

No, the cycle route between nailsea and flax bourton is very nice smooth tarmac. Last week (Thursday) on a frost it was slippy and not pleasant to cycle along.

The B3130 was well gritted and actually pothole free. Nice map, nice to know these things exist. Thank you.

Last Thursday and Friday, we had rain in the evening which then froze overnight, so all the untreated paths were very slippery. Last night was dry - the paths in south Bristol were frosty but fine as long as you don't hoon it on the corners. I managed to tow my daughters to school and nursery without incident.

Top Bottom