Click coming from crank / pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adds21

Rider of bikes
I've got an annoying, inconsistent, click coming from my left crank or pedal or somewhere which I'm trying to track down.

It's quite severe in as much as I can feel it though my foot. It happens just as the left pedal is starting its downward stroke. It feels like it’s the pedal, but I’ve replaced that, and although it appeared to fix the problem for a while, it’s since come back on the new pedal. It doesn’t always happen, but once it starts, to click, it seems to click consistently for the duration of the current ride.

I am using very cheap SPD’s, so it’s not inconceivable I’ve had the same fault on two left hand pedals, but I think it’s unlikely, especially as I swapped the “clicking” pedal with one on my hybrid, and the hybrid doesn’t click (although, I don’t tent to ride it much, and the clicking isn’t consistent). I’ve also tried unclipping briefly, and I still get the click, so it’s not my cleats.

Once it starts to click, it doesn’t appear to be related to the pressure I apply to the pedals. It just always happens just as the left down stroke starts, regardless of whether I’m applying pressure or not.

Annoyingly, I can’t seem to replicate it with the bike in the work stand. I’ve had a look at the Sheldon Brown “creaks” page, but thought I’d ask here in case anyone has any ideas what to look for.

zigzag

Veteran
most likely this will be bottom bracket cups slightly moving under pedal pressure. try to unscrew them, put some grease on the threads and put back together. the clicks should disappear. if not, unscrew the pedals and lubricate pedal threads. there is not enough pressure in the bottom bracket to replicate the creaks with bike in a workstand.

Davidc

Guru
Don't want to sound patronising, but have you checked the usual suspect list?

i.e.

Pedal or crank touching something (the spare cable from the front mech is a favourite)
Pedal bearings need repacking with grease (cheap pedals more often than good ones)
Both clipless and toe clips with straps suffer from clicks and clanks from bits being loose
Clothing and shoes making noises
Things such as keys and coins in pockets
Chainring bolts loose

I'm sure a few more will be suggested!

I've usually found that pedalling synchronised clicks are from this sort of cause

Just occasionally it's more serious and from the BB.

OP
OP
adds21

adds21

Rider of bikes
Thanks ZigZag, I'll give that a try.

Davidc: You're quite right to ask. I once had a click which turned out to be my shoelace hitting the frame on each pedal revolution. This time however, I'm pretty sure it's something on the bike!

I read this and got deja vu !

I have been having the same issue for the last 6 months so far I have

replaced the wheels but not for the click issue,
replaced both pedals and cleats
new cassette, new chain
greased the seat post all the way down the tube, taken the seat off cleaned and greased and put back
bottom bracket cups tightened
bottom bracket removed, cleaned re lubed and placed back in
new front chain ring,
re tightened chain ring bolts
sprayed WD 40 into the crank
head set loosened, cleaned with wd40 retightened

still the click on the left on the down stroke ....

Now my click is interesting because if the roads are damp it will click but as things get wetter then the click slowly gets quieter until you can;t hear it, then once its been dry for a few days it starts to come back.

I did solve the problem where by when I stood up on the pedals and gave it some welly the bike sounded like a creaking set of floor boards ! It was awful and I was 100% certain it was the bottom bracket, traced the fault down to a overtightened front quick release skewer, gave it a dash of WD40 and tightened it but not too much and it went away completely !

So as its been raining this week no more click but I am sure he is lurking somewhere ready to remind me when the weather dries up again

Top Bottom