Clicking/Cracking sound from the back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

porkypete said:
Have a read of this.
According to the link you posted you have 24 spokes per wheel and they are not evenly spaced around rim, there's 2 and then a gap then another 2 ? That's paired spokes, and I'll admit they do look rather good, although I'd personally never buy or build a wheel like that.
To be fair lots of cyclists are very happy with less than 32 spokes per wheel and disagree with Sheldon - I'm just not one of them. Feel free to ignore me ;) most people do ....

No mate, I appreciate your help.

I didn't knowingly seek out this particular kind of wheel; I got the bike second hand 2 years ago and I absolutley love it. I've managed to maintain it and service myself (thanks to many on this board) despite being a complete novice at the beginning.

This I'm not so sure about and Mr. LBS may be getting some business from me at last. As some said, it may be hub/freewheel issues.

I read a good tip that says stuff paper at the cross over points to determine if it is spokes or not. May try that...

<edit> Just done a quick google of paired spokes and opinion is divided at best...Hmmm...</edit>

PpPete

Legendary Member
Like you I've gained a huge amount of knowledge on here....I used to maintain my own bike 30+ years ago, but technology has moved on, and this forum enabled me to "catch up".

One thing it encouraged me to try was building my own wheels. Lot simpler than it sounds, especially if you get a good book like Wheelpro. Roger Musson, the author, is another who recommends conventional pattern spoking, and I've built quite a few wheels using his "recipe" that have proved extremely robust and a lot faster than what I had before.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
From your 'Will tightening up spokes not knock the wheel out of true?' comment I take it you've never had fun with a spoke key? It seems very daunting, but it's actually surprisingly easy if you give it a go. I've never built a wheel, but I was faced with redishing one (moving the rim across a bit) when I went fixie. A bit spooky in prospect, but I ended updoing it, perfectly, in about 20 mins. I'd at least try tightening all your spokes a quarter turn, then adjust if/as necessary to straighten up.

briank

Don't want to be alarming, but it's worth taking the wheel out and looking very closely at the drive side drop out. I had a frame crack there and checked everything over trying to find where the noise was coming from but didn't spot the problem till the rear wheel pulled out!:biggrin:

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

Thanks for all th extra replies people. I much appreciate it.

I lubed the cross-over points and it seems to have improved matters quite a lot. I do get the occasional clack but not neraly as bad as before.

I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days...

Top Bottom