Clicking/Cracking sound from the back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Funtboy

Hi all,

My back wheel has started clicking at me. In fact it's more like a cracking sound to be honest (clacking?). It goes mental when I brake (disk) or go over bumpy ground.

Anyway, I suspect it's because the bits where the spokes cross need lubrication. I haven't had time to fix it properly (I only managed a few spokes before I went to work) but would like clarification on a few things.

In the normal state of things, should there be movement between the spokes at those cross-over points or should they be drum-tight and not move at all?

If we should expect movement, is it the case that we should always keep the cross-over points lubed up as a matter of course?

I ask the last question as it seems some of the spokes on the side with all the cogs (cassette?) seem to have furrowed a groove into their neighbour so even if I do lube it, I reckon it'll still make a noise popping out of the furrow.

If this is the case, what do I do? I'm kind of being impatient as I haven't actually done the full job yet but I'm dying to know...

Many thanks in advance...

There should be no movement in the spokes - otherwise you get the wear you have noticed. The cause presumably is that the spokes are loose and need a bit more tension in them to prevent this happening - however if they have just started doing this it may be that the spoke holes in the flange on the hub have worn.

I'd personally take one spoke off and check the hub for wear. If that is OK and if the spokes were not too worn at the cross-over point I'd re-tighten all the spokes each by a quarter turn.

Alternativley its a trip to the LBS to get them to do it or order a new wheel.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

accountantpete said:
There should be no movement in the spokes - otherwise you get the wear you have noticed. The cause presumably is that the spokes are loose and need a bit more tension in them to prevent this happening - however if they have just started doing this it may be that the spoke holes in the flange on the hub have worn.

I'd personally take one spoke off and check the hub for wear. If that is OK and if the spokes were not too worn at the cross-over point I'd re-tighten all the spokes each by a quarter turn.

Alternativley its a trip to the LBS to get them to do it or order a new wheel.

Will tightening up spokes not knock the wheel out of true?

<edit> I see you say re-tighten all by a quarter turn. That would make sense...</edit>

Is it easy to take a spoke off?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Funtboy said:
Will tightening up spokes not knock the wheel out of true?

<edit> I see you say re-tighten all by a quarter turn. That would make sense...</edit>

I'd still want to check the lateral and radial true-ness and the dishing, even if all the spokes have been tightened by an equal amount.

Sorry - but I think all spokes move somewhat, however tight. Never heard of lubricating them or of the spokes wearing grooves in each other though.
Use good quality stainless steel double-butted spokes?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was getting a strange irregular clanking noise from the back wheel - cured it completely by servicing/re-greasing the hub. Might be that? (Tho' it do sound as tho' your spokes need a bit of TLC either way.)

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

porkypete said:
I'd still want to check the lateral and radial true-ness and the dishing, even if all the spokes have been tightened by an equal amount.

Sorry - but I think all spokes move somewhat, however tight. Never heard of lubricating them or of the spokes wearing grooves in each other though.
Use good quality stainless steel double-butted spokes?

Dunno. They are these ones...

http://store.trekbikes.com/jump.jsp?itemID=1699&itemType=PRODUCT&path=1,2,4,442,457&iProductID=1699

They came with the bike.

They have taken a bit of a hammering as the roads I ride to work are in a s**t state.

I really hope I don't have replace the wheel, it looks like it'll cost me £130 quid!

PpPete

Legendary Member
For that sort of money you'd hope they were good quality spokes!

All my wheels are handbuilt 36 spoke or 32 spoke 3-cross and I've never had the sort of noise you describe but I don't know anything about these fashionable "paired" spoke patterns, so it could be spokes clattering together, but my money would be on hub or freewheel issues.

Funtboy said:
In the normal state of things, should there be movement between the spokes at those cross-over points or should they be drum-tight and not move at all?

Some very minor movement if you squeeze spokes (hard) together is not unusual and not necessary a problem - it depends upon the components in the build.

Go and squeeze some other wheels to get a feel.

If you can easily move the rim side-to-side that would also indicate a tension problem.

If you've got furrowed spokes I'd rebuild the wheel with new spokes.

tyred

Legendary Member
Funtboy said:
You couldn't elaborate for me a little, cheers...

If you've got issues with spokes, it may well be that but I have seen freewheels which become gunged up as the grease goes hard and sticks the pawls internally and then make all sorts of strange clacking noises. If you can't find any other reason for the noises, try spraying a little WD40 into the freewheel bearing. This issue would apply mostly to threaded freewheels but I suppose it could happen with a cassette hub as well.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

porkypete said:
For that sort of money you'd hope they were good quality spokes!

All my wheels are handbuilt 36 spoke or 32 spoke 3-cross and I've never had the sort of noise you describe but I don't know anything about these fashionable "paired" spoke patterns, so it could be spokes clattering together, but my money would be on hub or freewheel issues.

Ooooh, what does that mean? It sounds bad...

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

tyred said:
If you've got issues with spokes, it may well be that but I have seen freewheels which become gunged up as the grease goes hard and sticks the pawls internally and then make all sorts of strange clacking noises. If you can't find any other reason for the noises, try spraying a little WD40 into the freewheel bearing. This issue would apply mostly to threaded freewheels but I suppose it could happen with a cassette hub as well.

Cheers for that.

OP
OP
Funtboy

Funtboy

[quote name='swee'pea99']I was getting a strange irregular clanking noise from the back wheel - cured it completely by servicing/re-greasing the hub. Might be that? (Tho' it do sound as tho' your spokes need a bit of TLC either way.)[/QUOTE]

I'll try that over the weekend...

PpPete

Legendary Member
Funtboy said:
Ooooh, what does that mean? It sounds bad...

Have a read of this.
According to the link you posted you have 24 spokes per wheel and they are not evenly spaced around rim, there's 2 and then a gap then another 2 ? That's paired spokes, and I'll admit they do look rather good, although I'd personally never buy or build a wheel like that.
To be fair lots of cyclists are very happy with less than 32 spokes per wheel and disagree with Sheldon - I'm just not one of them. Feel free to ignore me ;) most people do ....

Top Bottom