Clicking Noise-Retaining Ring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
For a while now, i`ve been having a clicking noise when standing or putting heavy pressure on my pedals, at first i thought it was my bottom bracket....so i upgraded my bottom bracket...it wasn`t that, then i thought it was my pedals..new pedals, still same clicking noise..

Now i`ve been looking into it and few people have had thos problem before and it seems i need to retaining ring on my cassette is tight....

i haven`t a clue what to do, what is my retaining ring and how do i make it tight???

Cyclist33

i too am having horrendous clicky stuff under pressure. dont know what it is.

the lockring theory is interesting, i will have to check it out. basically at the narrow end of the cog cassette at the back, is a thin metal ring that locks the cassette in place. it has to be screwed onto the cassette with a special tool. i suppose if too tight, it could cause a click.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it a continuous clicking or an intermittent one ?
TBH I can't figure why a loose locking would cause clicking, maybe a noisy transmission because the cogs would be slightly out of position.
Look on the smallest cog of your cassette, you will see a toothed or castellated ring on the end. That's your locking. You insert the appropriate tool, shimano or campag in the toothed bit then tighten.
They can come loose, usually if not tightened sufficiently in the first place.

Nebulous

Guru
I've got an occasional very obvious clicking noise - under power. I'm pretty sure it is coming from the freehub. I've never done it before, but I may strip it down. On the other hand I broke a front spoke a couple of months ago and the rest of them are making some noise as well - it may well be new wheel time.

Top Bottom