Clicking noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craven2354

Hello :smile:

On my bike every turn I seem to get 2 clicking noises one after the other does anybody know what this could be?

betty swollocks

large member

Night Train

Maker of Things
Hello :smile:

On my bike every turn I seem to get 2 clicking noises one after the other does anybody know what this could be?
Turn of the bars? Turn of the pedals? Turn of the cranks? Turn of the chain? Turn of the wheels? Does it change with speed? Does it happen when you are freewheeing? Does it happen in every gear, or just some? Is it something in a pannier or saddle bag that is tapping the frame? On the road? Off the road? On the stand? What sort of bike is it?

OP
OP
craven2354

craven2354

Ok I'll narrow it down thought I was quite vague :smile: it's when turning the pedals it doesn't happen when freewheeling nor does it go away in lower or higher gears I guess it's something to do with the chain

Arch

Married to Night Train
Something to do with the bottom bracket?

Do check you haven't got something (like the end of a mech cable) sticking out and being hit by the cranks on each revolution - sounds daft, but sometimes noises are down to bag strap or a zip tie or something...

Find a way to raise the bike up off the ground (on a workstand, or hanging from a strap on a beam) and turn the pedals by hand, and listen with your ear close (just watch you don't catch your hair in anything!). That might give you a better idea of where the click is coming from - crank area, or rear sprockets etc. Also watch the chain, in case it's a stiff slink not moving freely or something skipping.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
My pinarello makes clicking noises from the bb because of some plastic shims. Re-greasing the bb solves it. It's worse in cold weather. Not a problem more of an annoyance.

lozcs

Guru
Every now and then after a wet ride I have to strip down the BB, remove the water that collects and regrease.... Probably not helped by the fact I have to store my bike upright...

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I've had so many of these. All sounded like it was coming from the BB area. They've turned out to be:

Crank arm bolt loose.
Pedal bearings gritty.
Dry chain.
Seat post clamp (this took me ages to find).
Stem bolts loose.
saddle clamp bolt loose.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Also while checking, when the bike is upside down or in a stand, try to work out if the clicking is in time with the pedals, ie the pedal is in the same place when the click occurs and it is one click every crank revolution.
If it is then the click will be somewhere in the pedal, the BB, the chain ring or the front mech touching something on the chain ring or crank.
Try spinning the pedal without moving the cranks to see if it is the pedal bearing.

If the click is less frequent then the turn of the cranks, ie every 2-3 turns you get a click then it could be the chain. There could be a stiff link that isn't flexing around the smaller sprockets on the back wheel or it could be a chain link pin just touching something like the rear mech cage.

While the moving bits are in the air give the chain a good wipe down and clean. There might be something caught in the chain or in the teeth of the sprockets.

Don't forget to check if there is anything on the frame that is touching the cranks or chain rings.

I was saying to Arch that her bike clicks on every turn too. When she turns a corner the toe clips on her pedals, that she doesn't clip into, clicks on the tarmac as she banks over.^_^

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I've had so many of these. All sounded like it was coming from the BB area. They've turned out to be:

Crank arm bolt loose.
Pedal bearings gritty.
Dry chain.
Seat post clamp (this took me ages to find).
Stem bolts loose.
saddle clamp bolt loose.

I can add two grit-related mysterious noises - grit where the pedal threads into the crank (remove, clean, regrease, sorted) and grit where the seat post it held by the clamp (grit thrown up off wet roads and flushed down by rain? Same simple procedure to sort it).

And a really idiotic one which took me an embarrassingly long time to pin down. The front dérailleur cable end was catching my heel and pinging into the frame. You'd think it was obvious, wouldn't you? But the way in which all these little clicks and graunchinesses all seem to come from the bottom bracket got me looking in the wrong place. The BB is the bike's equivalent of the piano's soundboard.

Mushroomgodmat

Über Member
Crank bolts....check them

I had a similar problem, took me ages to figure it out, in the end it was one crank bolt that needed a quarter turn to tighten it up. After that clicking was gone

deanE

I had this problem. Took it to the lbs and they changed the BB. came back just the same! - don’t they road test? Then someone said spray WD40 into the pedals (SPDs). No more clicking, and that was months ago.

Top Bottom