Clicking on cranks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It's only started recently. Every time the peddles go round an annoying clicking sound is made. I can feel it slightly on the left crank,but maybe it's the peddle? The bike is old if that's any help,so i'm wondering if it's the bearings? Thanks in advance for any advice!:thumbsup:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I've had two of this. One was the left crank cracking, the other was a pedal bearing fault. @User's advice is right: fix ASAP or you'll need new parts for sure.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes peddles are not the same as pedals. Check the pedal bearings for play. Are they Keos? They click when they wear.

I had this...it annoyed me for ages. Everyone said check the pedals but I was determined that it wasn't them. Tightened every bolt, checked all the alignment, got a friend to take the bottom bracket out and grease etc...no difference...then changed the pedals and the clicking was gone :whistle:

if you have plenty time , have a look here..:thumbsup:

http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/keepitquiet.html

400bhp

Guru
Even the sticky out bit of cable at the end of the front derailleur can cause a clicking if it catches the crank arm.

Cyclist33

It's only started recently. Every time the peddles go round an annoying clicking sound is made. I can feel it slightly on the left crank,but maybe it's the peddle? The bike is old if that's any help,so i'm wondering if it's the bearings? Thanks in advance for any advice!:thumbsup:

I had that it was very annoying! Turned out to be one of the pedals.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Move the crank without rotating the peddle first to identify if it's crank or peddle.
Thats what I do. Flip it over and push from the crank. I also gently pull it sideways (oo-er) and check for play.

Both the pedal and the cranks, if they have wear in the bearings, can vibrate through the frame and produce this noise in my experience.

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Thats what I do. Flip it over and push from the crank. I also gently pull it sideways (oo-er) and check for play.

Both the pedal and the cranks, if they have wear in the bearings, can vibrate through the frame and produce this noise in my experience.

I've had to re grease bearings in pedals in the past

Top Bottom