Clicking on new bike, no matter what I do.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting that even the one they tried swapping onto the bike was also warped, despite being brand new and straight from the packaging? It’s being returned along with the whole front mech and large front gear off my bike.

What model was the warped chainring ? Weird that they also had a dodgy one too.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Interesting this wasn't picked up at the shop's PDI.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Not sure if anyone cares after this time but...
Got the bike back on Saturday.
As you recall, they had trouble setting up and indexing and noticed the outer front chain ring was out of true.
Anyway they ended up changing the whole front chain set due to it being out of true in the bottom (press fit) bracket.
Turns out the chain ring/s were not out of true, it was the bracket itself.
Anyway, it's all changed now and it rides fine.
They also gave a good lube-ing to the carbon seat post and the seat bracket, resulting in the creaking/faint knocking from that being resolved.
Greased the front wheel hub too.
Whisper quiet and butter smooth now.
I took it a very quick ride up and down the side road next to the shop, so still to test it on a full ride with multiple gear changes, but I am optimistic that all will be well.
I cannot recommend Swinnerton Cycles (Fenton, Stoke) enough. They have limitless patience and couldn't do enough to resolve the 'issues'.
They're not that local to me (around 40 mins) but well worth the drive for such excellent service.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
As you recall, they had trouble setting up and indexing and noticed the outer front chain ring was out of true.
Anyway they ended up changing the whole front chain set due to it being out of true in the bottom (press fit) bracket.
They also gave a good lube-ing to the carbon seat post and the seat bracket, resulting in the creaking/faint knocking from that being resolved.
I took it a very quick ride up and down the side road next to the shop, so still to test it on a full ride with multiple gear changes, but I am optimistic that all will be well.
I cannot recommend Swinnerton Cycles (Fenton, Stoke) enough. They have limitless patience and couldn't do enough to resolve the 'issues'.
They're not that local to me (around 40 mins) but well worth the drive for such excellent service.

Good result!

Ajax Bay

Guru
Anyway, it's all changed now
So they just replaced the BB and refitted the perfectly OK chainset - is that right?
Interesting that even the one they tried swapping onto the bike was also warped, despite being brand new and straight from the packaging? It’s being returned along with the whole front mech and large front gear off my bike.
So was the chainset "warped" and the one they tried swapping on was "warped" as well - or not?

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

The chain rings were not warped it seems, it was the bottom bracket etc that was the issue.
They replaced that and also both chain di flags. Full chain set.

Jameshow

Veteran
Could be a shoe lace on the seat tube! DAMHIK!!

Ajax Bay

Guru
They have sold me stuff as well: very efficient, however:
The chain rings were not warped it seems, it was the bottom bracket etc that was the issue.
They replaced that and also both chain di flags. Full chain set.
These guys, whom you can't recommend enough, judged that not just one chainset but its replacement was "warped" and eventually decided it was the BB 'after all'. Mmmm.
@Grant Fondo :notworthy:said:
yeah take it back. Press-fit BB could be the culprit?

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense

Swinnows have a mixed reputation but they are really good at sorting out issues.

ExBrit

Über Member

Yes, we do care. We've all been there and understand your pain. We are thrilled you found someone special who can take care of you and all your strange needs. You've clearly formed a strong relationship with Swinnerton Cycles and I'm sure they reciprocate the affection. We all wish you the very best as you set out together on that wonderful journey that is the rest of your lives.

Seriously though, a trusted bike shop is worth its weight in gold. Or at least carbon fiber.

Top Bottom