Clicking on new bike, no matter what I do.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
How is it in the middle of the cassette on both the big and small chainring?
I’d tweak the barrel adjuster a quarter turn at a time.
If not confident in mechanics, just take it to your local independent bike shop, it’s worth building a relationship. My LBS does these sort of tweaks for free as I’ve been using for years and spent a fair few quid in that time. The mechanics know I’m useless :laugh:

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

How is it in the middle of the cassette on both the big and small chainring?
I’d tweak the barrel adjuster a quarter turn at a time.
If not confident in mechanics, just take it to your local independent bike shop, it’s worth building a relationship. My LBS does these sort of tweaks for free as I’ve been using for years and spent a fair few quid in that time. The mechanics know I’m useless :laugh:

I'd have to double check that, I'm out on it again tomorrow.
I'm a complete novice with bike adjustments so will need to look up an idiots guide to adjusting the FD. The RD is even worse perhaps!

I don't have a stand so it's tricky for me to check without riding it.

presta

Guru
It's not the nipple on the end of the front gear cable catching on the inside of the crank is it?
It took me ages to find that one, because it was only occurring when I used the large chainring, and that was rarely.

It's practically a brand new bike with less than 100 miles on it, so surely it can't be anything serious....can it?
Not necessarily, I had a new frame under guarantee on a bike that was two weeks old with 159 miles on the clock.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

It's not the nipple on the end of the front gear cable catching on the inside of the crank is it?
It took me ages to find that one, because it was only occurring when I used the large chainring, and that was rarely.

Not necessarily, I had a new frame under guarantee on a bike that was two weeks old with 159 miles on the clock.
Ouch, fair enough, at least it was under guarantee then!

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I'll check, although like you I rarely use the large chainring, unless I'm trying to get some speed on the flat or downhill.
Mostly I stick to the small one. Perhaps the problem is compounded by using the lowest gears on the small chainring?
I've tried both chainrings though and still can't find any sweet spots.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd have to double check that, I'm out on it again tomorrow.
I'm a complete novice with bike adjustments so will need to look up an idiots guide to adjusting the FD. The RD is even worse perhaps!

Find a YouTube video. Definitely sounds worth building a relationship with your local independent shop

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Suggest a quiet drive train is a 'happy' drive train and a perfectly reasonable and achievable aspiration.
From the OP's 'extras' I'd say this was RD fine adjustment, not the FD.

Agree. After a spell of not using it I jumped on my Sabbath earlier this week and the changing was off slightly and sounded like it wanted to jump back up the sprocket. Stopped, gave the rear derailleur adjustment just a quarter turn and was perfect.

Turn the bike upside down on the lawn or carpet so you aren't damaging the saddle or hoods.

You should be able to get a good look at the rear mech and see how well aligned it is with each gear or if the chain looks stiff anywhere as it goes through the rear mech.

You'll also see the rear mech move with each turn of the adjuster. If it moves the wrong way you can adjust it straight away.

D

Deleted member 121159

I'm not trying to be polemical and correct me if I'm wrong. My experiences with big bike shops have been that I'm basically on my own if the bike has any problems. Unless the problem is something so obvious like the bike is missing a downtube. I'm talking about buying a big brand bike from a big retailer, however. Maybe things are different if you buy from a smaller independent shop even if the bike itself is from a big brand.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Turn the bike upside down on the lawn or carpet so you aren't damaging the saddle or hoods.

You should be able to get a good look at the rear mech and see how well aligned it is with each gear or if the chain looks stiff anywhere as it goes through the rear mech.

You'll also see the rear mech move with each turn of the adjuster. If it moves the wrong way you can adjust it straight away.

Thanks, I appreciate all this but I haven’t a clue exactly how to adjust these things? Whenever I tried I just made it worse and even worse couldn’t even get it back to where it was before! (on a previous bike).
At that point I decided that repairs and adjustments were out of bounds without first learning how to do it properly, preferably by being shown rather than just reading it.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

I'm not trying to be polemical and correct me if I'm wrong. My experiences with big bike shops have been that I'm basically on my own if the bike has any problems. Unless the problem is something so obvious like the bike is missing a downtube. I'm talking about buying a big brand bike from a big retailer, however. Maybe things are different if you buy from a smaller independent shop even if the bike itself is from a big brand.

Actually these guys seem pretty good people and have so far been helpful.
I suppose I will learn if there’s a limit to that soon…..

richardfm

Veteran
Thanks, I appreciate all this but I haven’t a clue exactly how to adjust these things? Whenever I tried I just made it worse and even worse couldn’t even get it back to where it was before! (on a previous bike).
At that point I decided that repairs and adjustments were out of bounds without first learning how to do it properly, preferably by being shown rather than just reading it.

Post number 12 has a link to a Park Tool article, with a video, showing you how to adjust the RD, it won't take you long to find the one for th FD. However, both will be easier with a stand.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom