Clicking on new bike, no matter what I do.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks, I appreciate all this but I haven’t a clue exactly how to adjust these things? Whenever I tried I just made it worse and even worse couldn’t even get it back to where it was before! (on a previous bike).
At that point I decided that repairs and adjustments were out of bounds without first learning how to do it properly, preferably by being shown rather than just reading it.

You don't do anything drastic. Just a quarter turn on the barrel adjuster. If it makes it worse turn it a quarter turn back. You'll see the mech move nearer or further away from the sprocket as you do it. It's not rocket science.

Same with truing wheels. It's very easy.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Thanks, I appreciate all this but I haven’t a clue exactly how to adjust these things?

I posted a link to the Park tool guide upthread. They are absolutely excellent, and include videos. I commend them once again to you. Honestly, gear adjustment is very simple, much easier than you'd think.

I think you said that it's a very long drive to your bike shop and you don't have a stand. I'd recommend forgetting the bike shop and buying a stand. Makes fettling infinitely easier.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Thanks guys, yes buying a stand makes a lot of sense.
I'll probably call the LBS and see what they say but will also take a look at those links and perhaps have a go.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Can I just ask - have you got 4 positions on the FD dialled in?

Shimano 11 speed FD's (those listed below and the newer R series) have these shift positions and how they should be used.

NB: elsewhere, Shimano state that you still may get rubbing with large front and 3 large rear and small front and 2 small rear.

How to Use Shimano Front Shifter Trim Function.JPG

If its definitely drive chain related then it is sort-able

I had an horrendous experience with Kuota - who basically played me like a kipper - long story short I ended up selling and £1800 frame-set for £120 on ebay with faults declared. IME the LBS was a significantly better mechanic than those at Kuota HQ - so giving the lbs £50 or so maybe money well spent

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Can I just ask - have you got 4 positions on the FD dialled in?

Shimano 11 speed FD's (those listed below and the newer R series) have these shift positions and how they should be used.

NB: elsewhere, Shimano state that you still may get rubbing with large front and 3 large rear and small front and 2 small rear.

View attachment 691455

Thanks for this, however it makes little sense to me to be honest!

I could always get it retro-fitted with a decent 1x12 set up? I've never had anything but hassle with front DR's.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

So, I took it to the LBS who supplied the bike and they tried setting it up....and couldn't!
They started from scratch but it was still making a noise from the front mech no matter what they did.
Turns out the larger/outer front gear was warped! They fitted a new one from stock but it was also warped!
It's possible that the batch is/was bad so they had had to send the whole front mech under warranty and I'm without a bike now for at least two weeks.
Great bunch at this LBS though, really tried to sort it and even made me a cuppa.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
So, I took it to the LBS who supplied the bike and they tried setting it up....and couldn't!
They started from scratch but it was still making a noise from the front mech no matter what they did.
Turns out the larger/outer front gear was warped! They fitted a new one from stock but it was also warped!
It's possible that the batch is/was bad so they had had to send the whole front mech under warranty and I'm without a bike now for at least two weeks.
Great bunch at this LBS though, really tried to sort it and even made me a cuppa.

Interesting that.

My son bought a Carrera ebike a year ago and had trouble with the chain jumping off the single chain ring.
I took the chainring off and could see it was a very crude stamped steel object, and was warped. Replacing it with a ring from Spa transformed the bike.

We were told that the factory had run out of chain rings when the bike was made and got some stamped out of plain steel sheet to keep production and sales going.

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Interesting that even the one they tried swapping onto the bike was also warped, despite being brand new and straight from the packaging? It’s being returned along with the whole front mech and large front gear off my bike.

Top Bottom