Climate Change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

I’m cheesed off. Quite happy with humans being wiped off the Earth to give the rest of flora and fauna a chance but cheesed off that climate change is going to ruin events more and more.
Not saying it was on these occasions but Tour de France and now Worlds men’s elite race are a taste of things to come as extreme weather becomes more common in future decades.
Is a real shame but maybe worth the pain to give the bees a chance in the long-term future (if not all wiped out in the interim?!).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Eh, it's just rain in Yorkshire. Fairly typical weather for late September.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Eh, it's just rain in Yorkshire. Fairly typical weather for late September.

Totally agree but...my point it that it will be something that will happen more and more, which is a shame (the impact of climate change on me in my lifetime - I won’t be subject to forced migration like the inhabitants of Bangladesh etc etc).

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Just been out for a family meal and drove up to the moors to the pub for it.
There was a crap load of flooding on the roads and the drains were almost like fountains the way water was being pushed out from them. I've seen worse a couple years ago, but today was bad.
Even Bolton council had wagons pumping water away from some lanes.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Just been out for a family meal and drove up to the moors to the pub for it.
There was a crap load of flooding on the roads and the drains were almost like fountains the way water was being pushed out from them. I've seen worse a couple years ago, but today was bad.
Even Bolton council had wagons pumping water away from some lanes.

Interesting to hear. Thanks for sharing. I forget who said it but someone was taking about Mother Nature once and saying how it is a very misleading phrase because there is nothing motherly about nature. There is a lot of very bad weather to come and it won’t be possible to control the impacts.
I continue to enjoy my cycling, others the X-Factor etc but it’s like one of those disaster movies when they party and don’t know what is around the corner.
The impacts of climate change will (literally) change the world as we know it. Many people are ignoring it but it is just human nature.

And again - I’m not saying a storm in Yorkshire is climate change, it is just that it will eventually happen more and more because of climate change and even if you aren’t an African that will have to migrate because it is too hot to live there, it will impact us all in varying degrees [no pun intended!].

(for the record I am not in Extinction Rebellion or the like - just reading the majority of scientific opinion - currently around 97% of scientists agreeing - so I’m taking them to be right).

(for the record I am not in Extinction Rebellion or the like - just reading the majority of scientific opinion - currently around 97% of scientists agreeing - so I’m taking them to be right).

Science doesn't work like democracy.

The "Scientist" with the most likes on Facebook isn't the rightest.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Even if you don’t believe in climate change, humans are destroying the planet e.g. Amazonian fires to name 1 of thousands
No we're not. What we are doing is destroying the conditions that allow us to exist on it. The planet does not give a damn about how many forests are on it, it will carry on it's merry way till it is incinerated by the Sun. And then it won't care as it's just an inanimate lump of stuff.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

No we're not. What we are doing is destroying the conditions that allow us to exist on it. The planet does not give a damn about how many forests are on it, it will carry on it's merry way till it is incinerated by the Sun. And then it won't care as it's just an inanimate lump of stuff.

Ah yes, good point!

johnblack

Über Member
Even if you don’t believe in climate change, humans are destroying the planet e.g. Amazonian fires to name 1 of thousands
The Amazon fires whilst bad are actually far less than those experienced between 2003-7 and 2010 2012 and deforestation is at one quarter of its peak in 2004. But reporting has changed over that period and social media magnifies the issue. Alot of the burning was also taking place on already deforested areas.

Bolivia has actually had a much higher increase in forest fire this year, but then again Macron wasn't going to get any credit for picking a fight with Morales where he could get some kudos for getting angry with Bolsanaro. The anger this year is far more political than environmental.

This is something I read elsewhere.

The United Nations’ ‘state of the world’s forests’ report concluded last year that ‘the net loss of forest area continues to slow, from 0.18 per cent [a year] in the 1990s to 0.08 per cent over the last five-year period’. A study in Nature last year by scientists from the University of Maryland concluded that even this is too pessimistic: ‘We show that — contrary to the prevailing view that forest area has declined globally — tree cover has increased by 2.24 million km2 (+7.1 per cent relative to the 1982 level).’

I don't have a dog in this fight, but it's good to hear some reporting that isn't just doom and gloom.

Top Bottom