Climbing Bike Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Much the same as you guys in here, you are not still on your basic bikes, you are on Viner's and such.

Probably correct - so if you want a new bike, feel free to buy one - buying new stuff is good. I suspect most people on here are bike enthusiasts, so there's nothing wrong with wanting 'modern' or 'high performance' equipment. Plenty of club-level golfers fork out on custom-made clubs and it probably makes them feel better about their game, although I doubt if it makes them play much better.

Just don't expect the new bike to get you up hills any quicker, that's all...

12kg is too heavy,

too heavy for what..?

Theo42

Looking round for possible bikes I think it may be a trip to a few LBS', can't find much online really. The likes of wiggle and decathlon are a bit expensive/ shite haha. One I really do like is this though: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basso-devil-xenon-2011/ thoughts?

Don't think you got an answer to this - I have a Carrera TDF and, like you, am looking to upgrade to something lighter, less rattly and a bit more stylish for a similar budget now the bug has got me too.
I was/am also interested in the Basso Devil.

Don't think you got an answer to this - I have a Carrera TDF and, like you, am looking to upgrade to something lighter, less rattly and a bit more stylish for a similar budget now the bug has got me too.
I was/am also interested in the Basso Devil.

How about this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-triple-2012-road-bike-ec030704

I have the 2010 model and bang hills out no problem on it, excellent quality and service too and its in the required price range. Lots of gears to help with those rotational energy problems too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Another question here about gear ratios, I find that currently on slight downhills and more what happens when i reach about 30-35 mph is that my pedals turn but there is no more power (spinning out?) so I've just to rely on gravity to go quicker which is annoying as I love the thrill of going quickly.
You need to learn to spin i.e. pedal faster!

I'm not being facetious - 30-35 mph corresponds to only 90-100 rpm which is a moderate range of cadence. I am not a particular fast spinner but even I can manage 125 rpm on downhills which in that ratio would be about 44 mph.

Peteaud

Veteran
Go on the bay of fleas and get a 2010 / 2011 Giant defy 2 compaqct for that money and get some change.

Not a massive fan of Giant myself but for the money that bike is fantastic.

Compact and a 12-27 rear.

oldroadman

Veteran
You need to learn to spin i.e. pedal faster!

I'm not being facetious - 30-35 mph corresponds to only 90-100 rpm which is a moderate range of cadence. I am not a particular fast spinner but even I can manage 125 rpm on downhills which in that ratio would be about 44 mph.

+1, smooth fast pedalling, which will help in all situations, up, down, and flat.
53/39 is a race type chainset, and if you spin out 53x11 you are moving much quicker than 45mph.
For most people, a compact 50/34 with 11- 25 cassette will take care of all you want.

Nearly there

Veteran
Changing to some lighter wheels and putting a 50/34 will help

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you can stretch your budget you can look for a bike with sram apex, my bike runs a compact double at the front with up to a 32 at the rear so you can climb any mountain .
The boardman road comp is down to £699 atm , feck i paid full rrp last year on C2W ... well kinda
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_777713_langId_-1_categoryId_165710
I put a closer range casseete on mine but its nice to have the option.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I personally think the bike can make a difference. The best bike I have ridden for climbing is a s-works sl4 tarmac with Di2, its exceptionally stiff and responsive, by comparison the venge and dogma require a little more effort to climb. The dogma feels a little softer and compromised than the sl4.
The venge was never made to win mountain stages and although its an incredible bike you do notice this is not its strong point although it is incredible when decending.
The biggest things you will notice when climbing is stiffness and weight, all my bikes are under UCI weight limits and I myself weigh a little over 9 stone. The next thing is wheel weight specifically, I find I climb faster on zipp 303's or lightweights than I do on zipp 404's.
I also personally find elliptical chain rings help me when climbing as I have a more fluid pedaling style with them. I would not reccomend them though as they seem to work for some people and not for others.
Cheapest option is to work on technique as no matter how good the kit is this is what makes you a good climber imho

Top Bottom