Climbing Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'd say not too bad I'm from the northeast and live at the top of a 600ft climb either way so I've no choice :/ im a big built guy so the weight pulls me back too! But most rides around here average around 1500-300 ft elevation according to starva and that's anywhere you go even on short rides my immediate area consists of lots of valleys and signal masts, not to mention endless wind turbines so I think I'm just in an unlucky area for someone of my build lol
What build type is that jack??? Weight etc etc

jack smith

Veteran
I'm currently 15.7 stone but not much body fat I can't remember the percentage but I used to be very very muscly but I'm trying to cut down on it lol but by legs seem to be getting bigger from cycling

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I'm currently 15.7 stone but not much body fat I can't remember the percentage but I used to be very very muscly but I'm trying to cut down on it lol but by legs seem to be getting bigger from cycling
Your just a wee lil whipper snapper then compared to me :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds very hilly to me, take about a week to do that much climbing round here :biggrin: (unless I head to the Surrey "hills")

BSRU

A Human Being
Converting it to metric, 414.53m/22.86km it works out at 18.13 metres per km.

Then using the following table:-
0-5m/km of climbing = flat
5-10m/km = rolling
10-15m/km = slightly hilly
15-20m/km = hilly
20-25m/km = very hilly
>25m/km = insanely hilly

I would categorise it as "hilly".
The first 20km of my usual commute is similar amount per km, unfortunately/fortunately it gets alot easier unless I go for a extended ride in.

If you stick the route in mapmyride, it will categorise the hills for you, a la Tour de France. Probably not very accurate, but it's a bit of fun!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
One good thing about that route @jowwy mate, keep it at every day and you will get as fit as a butchers dog with the climbing ability of a goat :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

One good thing about that route @jowwy mate, keep it at every day and you will get as fit as a butchers dog with the climbing ability of a goat :thumbsup:
i wish i could ian - some days i need the car, but i do try and do it at least 2/3 days a week

its mostly done on my 29er too with rack and bag attached

NorvernRob

That's pretty hilly. Most of my riding is in the Peaks and averages 80-100ft per mile. Any more than 100ft per mile is bloody hilly, especially when you're doing 50+ miles.

The shorter distance obviously make it easier though. From our start point just to get to the Peaks it's 12 miles and 1200ft of climbing, but that feels ok. Still a drag though!

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I have to do around 45 miles to get that elevation gain, and obviously my route is the hardest in the world, so yours is option 4) Mountainous, get the car I ain't doing that.

jack smith

Veteran
I used to be quite abit heavier and I feel for you even at the weighti was it much harder being a larger guy climbing!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Converting it to metric, 414.53m/22.86km it works out at 18.13 metres per km.

Then using the following table:-
0-5m/km of climbing = flat
5-10m/km = rolling
10-15m/km = slightly hilly
15-20m/km = hilly
20-25m/km = very hilly
>25m/km = insanely hilly

I would categorise it as "hilly".
The first 20km of my usual commute is similar amount per km, unfortunately/fortunately it gets alot easier unless I go for a extended ride in.

I went out today and the first 36km were 28m/km. The next 24km were 17m/km and that felt practically flat in comparison. 28 is too much, all I did was climb or descend for two hours

Top Bottom