Climbing up hills

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
I've always complained about the hills where I live (Keighley), but in reality would it be possible for me to increase my fitness and climbing ability if I keep cycling up them?

Yes and cut out the pies and ale.

hills just never get any easier but they are what get you fit
just drop to the lowest comfortable gear and steadily climb
the good thing about hills, what goes up must come down.

pjd57

Veteran
Montrose Street in Glasgow city centre.Like to go up it now and again
downloadfile.jpg

pjd57

Veteran
I'm scared to go down that one! :laugh:
Try Gardiner street in Partick.....

been up it a few times, but strangely enough I never go down

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That hill is a brute to walk up!! I'd much rather be doing that one downhill than uphill
It is only 14% for 100 metres or 10.5% for 160 metres! I wouldn't mind riding up it, but I am not so keen on descending steepish hills in traffic.

OP, @DavidS has plenty of much steeper hills within a short distance of him. Thwaites Brow, for example has some very steep ramps on it and averages 13.1% for 850 metres.

Thwaites Brow climb Keighley.png

Soltydog

Legendary Member
It is only 14% for 100 metres or 10.5% for 160 metres! I wouldn't mind riding up it, but I am not so keen on descending steepish hills in traffic.

OP, @DavidS has plenty of much steeper hills within a short distance of him. Thwaites Brow, for example has some very steep ramps on it and averages 13.1% for 850 metres.

View attachment 433867

I cycled up that one a few weeks ago, pretty tough, but it is cobbled :okay: I've done a few cobbled climbs this year, but wouldn't fancy going down any cobbled descent :blush: Hainworth Lane climb was a little bit tougher,not far away, the 1st part of the climb was covered by trees & a little damp & greasy :ohmy:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I cycled up that one a few weeks ago, pretty tough, but it is cobbled :okay: I've done a few cobbled climbs this year, but wouldn't fancy going down any cobbled descent :blush: Hainworth Lane climb was a little bit tougher,not far away, the 1st part of the climb was covered by trees & a little damp & greasy :ohmy:
It is one that I haven't actually ridden up yet but I intend to one day!

MikeG

Guru
I've always complained about the hills where I live (Keighley), but in reality would it be possible for me to increase my fitness and climbing ability if I keep cycling up them?

Have you got an alternative in mind?

Actually, the biggest thing you can do to improve your climbing ability is to be smaller. It's up to you to decide if climbing performance is as important enough to justify that.

MikeG

Guru
.........Hill intervals are blinding for getting better (albeit one must question the sanity of those who willingly repeat hills!)

I've basically been off the bike for 4 years, re-building my house. I started riding again 5 or 6 weeks ago. It took 3 of those weeks for the saddle to stop feeling like it was made of granite. I'm already doing hill reps. There is no better way to get your fitness back.

Top Bottom