Clincher to Tubular

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_G

Im looking at new wheels and im thinking of going tubular, i know people say about if you get a puncture on the road its a pain due to the tyre being glued to the rim, but ive seen you can use a tape instead of glue.
Is this a good thing or bad thing.

Last edited:

VamP

Banned
You can use sealant to fix tubulars without removing the tyre. Only takes 5 minutes, and works surprisingly well.

boydj

Legendary Member
But if you have to repair a punctured tubular you will soon realise why tubulars are reserved mainly for competition. Many years ago I bought a pair of wheels with tubular rims after about 3 months I had the wheels rebuilt with clincher rims.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If they are for racing, a puncture is end of race anyway, so fixing a puncture on the road shouldn't come into it.

endoman

I have tubs on the TT race wheels. I have no means of mending a puncture with me, cos I only use them for racing, and if I do puncture it's race over and a walk.

boydj

Legendary Member
Check out some of Leonard Zinn's articles in the Technical FAQs on Velonews. There is a lot of stuff in there about tubulars and I remember one or two articles on glue vs tape. He does cyclocross, so a lot of what he covers is from a cyclocross pov, but a lot of it is relevant.

Top Bottom