clip in fun!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bicykell

I went on a 40 mile ride with a group the other week around the Howgills in Cumbria and Yorkshire. I'm glad they set off before me while I was fastening up my front wheel. I managed about a foot of the 40 mile ride before falling off because I was in the wrong gear. Ah well.....

Hyslop

Veteran
Ive not really had a problem with clipless(thus far!),When I first began,I took myself off to a field,away from the prying eyes of the common herd and wobbled about to my hearts content.However,when I did come unstuck,I managed it in front of the District Nurse,2 care staff and 2 small urchins.What amused me more than anything was the fact that they were all useless,the boys,well,fair enough,but I had to issue instructions from the gutter whilst giggling.No harm done though!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I finally managed it on Sunday for my 100k sportive. I'd done 5 whole miles beforehand and decided to woman up and do it. Got the tension loosened on the cleats so it would be easier to clip out. It actually was much easier than I'd anticipated. I only fell once. We did this massive 4 mile, 1400 ft climb. At the top there's a t junction and there was an aid station on the other side of the road. I was so busy checking the traffic on the junction that I forgot to unclip and toppled over. Skinned my knee, got a BIG bruise on my thigh and bashed my boob.

Note to self - would have been better NOT to shout 'ow, my boob' in front of 100 lycra-clad men at the aid station! Oh well, at least they got a laugh.

Tom B

Guru
I rode in a sprit triathlon the day after getting mine.... Clipping in was the hard bit for me.

the tri was fine but fell off twice, on the commute the week after both Times at traffic lights. Now it's second nature.

tobykenobi

Über Member
Hi Newbie here.

Reading this thread with interest. Have been riding on and off with SPDs (double sided pedals) for over 15 years with never a clipless moment.

Had a new bike recently and in a spirit of trying new things bought some SPD-SL pedal and cleats. "How different can it be?", I thought. The problem is not getting out of them - years with the old style has ingrained a twist-out motion when coming to a stop. It is getting into them So used to double sided I set off, stamped down only to have my foot slide off the smooth side of the pedal and the edge of it take a bite out of my ankle. No t helped by being in front of a full pub garden and drawing attention to myself by shouting several obscenities as I narrowly avoided ending up on the floor!

Am now learning to get into them properly by nudging the top with my toe as I set off.

Top Bottom