Clip-on platform thingies for Shimano PD-M520?

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Amanda P, 13 Apr 2010.

1. Some new bikes come with them, I've seen - but does anyone know where I can get some? I'm not sure exactly what they're called, which makes it hard to search for them.

What I'm talking about is a plastic platform, with a reflector on, I think, which clips into one side of a PD M520 pedal so that the pedal becomes a platform pedal on one side, clip-in on the other.

I've been riding my touring bike a bit lately, and after a long spell on other bikes, which all have clip-in pedals, I miss them (tourer has clips and straps). I'd like to put clip-in pedals on the tourer, but at the same time it's my utility bike and I need to be able to ride it in regular shoes. So these platform thingies seem a good solution - if only I could find some...

2. PK99

PK99 Guru

According to my LBS, the plastic clip on platforms are really disposable devices to make spd clad bikes street legal at point of display and sale and will very rapidly break if regularly put on and off the pedal. OTOH someone i know put on a pair about a year ago and has never taken them off

3. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

If you are close to a Decathlon... these are what you are looking for I think

edit: just seen they now do mail order

4. OP
    OP
    Amanda P

Amanda P Guru

You see, that's why I come here. An accurate reply within 8 minutes.

Thanks, Ian. That's exactly what I was talking about.

5. OP
    OP
    Amanda P

Amanda P Guru

...unfortunately, my nearest Decathlon is a long way away and I can't find anyone else who seems to have any...

... and there was another thread in which lots of people said they took theirs straight off (seems 520s and 540s came with them as standard for a while). Are there any lying about in a bits box that I could buy?

6. PK99

PK99 Guru

have a word at your LBS, mine had some lying around unused

7. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

I have some lying around :wacko: PM me your address Phil & i'll get them posted

8. Soltydog

Soltydog Guru

I have them on my mtb, which i only use for riding out with my wife on her horse. I find the platforms quite useful sometimes, but generally prefer spds :biggrin:

9. OP
    OP
    Amanda P

Amanda P Guru

How kind. Done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice