Clip-on platform thingies for Shimano PD-M520?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Some new bikes come with them, I've seen - but does anyone know where I can get some? I'm not sure exactly what they're called, which makes it hard to search for them.

What I'm talking about is a plastic platform, with a reflector on, I think, which clips into one side of a PD M520 pedal so that the pedal becomes a platform pedal on one side, clip-in on the other.

I've been riding my touring bike a bit lately, and after a long spell on other bikes, which all have clip-in pedals, I miss them (tourer has clips and straps). I'd like to put clip-in pedals on the tourer, but at the same time it's my utility bike and I need to be able to ride it in regular shoes. So these platform thingies seem a good solution - if only I could find some...

PK99

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
What I'm talking about is a plastic platform, with a reflector on, I think, which clips into one side of a PD M520 pedal so that the pedal becomes a platform pedal on one side, clip-in on the other.

According to my LBS, the plastic clip on platforms are really disposable devices to make spd clad bikes street legal at point of display and sale and will very rapidly break if regularly put on and off the pedal. OTOH someone i know put on a pair about a year ago and has never taken them off

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
...unfortunately, my nearest Decathlon is a long way away and I can't find anyone else who seems to have any...

... and there was another thread in which lots of people said they took theirs straight off (seems 520s and 540s came with them as standard for a while). Are there any lying about in a bits box that I could buy?

PK99

Legendary Member
Uncle Phil said:
...unfortunately, my nearest Decathlon is a long way away and I can't find anyone else who seems to have any...

... and there was another thread in which lots of people said they took theirs straight off (seems 520s and 540s came with them as standard for a while). Are there any lying about in a bits box that I could buy?

have a word at your LBS, mine had some lying around unused

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have them on my mtb, which i only use for riding out with my wife on her horse. I find the platforms quite useful sometimes, but generally prefer spds :biggrin:

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Soltydog said:
I have some lying around :biggrin: PM me your address Phil & i'll get them posted

How kind. Done.

Top Bottom