Clip ons with Aldi shoes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Firstly, please excuse me since I am a newbie and so am probably using the wrong terms, but hopefully you can understand enough to help me.

I recently purchased a set of Aldi shoes and a set of M520 pedals. All was going well and I covered about 100 miles on them on various trips.

On Saturday I went for a 25 mile trip and being so new to clip ons and not wishing to fall over, I disengage my left foot well in advance. About 3 miles from home I had difficulty disengaging and almost had to force the shoe out. What I didn't realise straight away was that the clip actually stayed in the pedal - and I had to cover the last few miles with one foot clipped in, the other foot out!

Well, I go the clip out (eventually) and secured it back to the shoe and went for another ride on Sunday - only 5 miles and then walked around a car boot sale. On the way back, again had trouble disengaging and found exactly the same thing (luckily only a few yards from the house)

What am I doing wrong?

MajorMantra

The cleat needs to be tightened harder onto the shoe. Be careful though, the metal some cheaper shoes is quite soft - I had some trouble with one of my Lidl shoes. You might also try some threadlocker.

Matthew

OP
OP
V

VictorL

MajorMantra said:
The cleat needs to be tightened harder onto the shoe. Be careful though, the metal some cheaper shoes is quite soft - I had some trouble with one of my Lidl shoes. You might also try some threadlocker.

Matthew

Thanks, the Lidl people were quite helpful - I can take the metal part back and they will change it for another metal piece.

Can i just buy a better quality metal part or are they specific to each shoe?

What is threadlocker and where do I get it from?

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
Have you eased off the tension on each of the pedals? .. it could be you have these set too high and will cause problems disengaging.

Threadlocker can be bought from any car accessory shop or DIY store, it's a sort of glue thats placed on the bolt thread before tightening, it helps prevent the bolt for working its way loose.

Hope you manage to get things sorted
Norm

Top Bottom