Clipless fun...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyrill666

OK, first ride out today on clipless, found them to be good. Felt confident that my feet would remain connected to the bike at all times (which didn't always happen with the toe cages I had previously, especially if a gear change wasn't smooth) - so that was good. Steep hill climbing seemed a little easier, but that might just be psychological

The ride was a 20 mile lunch time jaunt, traffic on the "quiet" single track country roads was busier than usual (I normally see no-one on at least half of the route!), so clipping in and out was repeated as I waited for vehicles to pass at various spots. So felt confident that I had mastered them.

You know what's coming right?

At about 18 miles, I ducked into a side road to let a HGV pass, he'd been waiting patiently behind me for half a mile so I felt it was the polite thing to do. Slowed down to a crawl in the side road to turn around and rejoin the main road, next thing I know I'm on the floor under my bike. No real damage or injuries to report, just a few scrapes and a dented ego. Not really sure what happened to be honest I think the bike just stopped moving as I turned and gravity did it's thing.

I was absolutely 100% sure I had the peddles mastered - just goes to show!

WellyWonkey

Unlucky m8. Don't let it knock your confidence. We've all done it. I hope the HGV had passed you! Can't imagine one of them bearing down on you whilst stranded on the deck :eek: !
Brush yourself down, get clipped back in and get back out there. Glad you're not too injured though:wacko:.

Bryony

Veteran
I bought some SPDs with my birthday money last week, haven't been out with them yet, as I'm just getting over a chest infection, but I've been using them on the turbo! I'm sure once I get out on the road I'll have a clipless moment, I'm not looking forward to it!! Haha

Glad your not too badly hurt!

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
You could always go somewhere nice and safe like a supermarket carpark to get used to them before venturing out onto the roads.

AndyRM

XOXO
ngbbs4fc6d890ecfce.jpg

Hardrock93

Guru
...Slowed down to a crawl in the side road to turn around and rejoin the main road, next thing I know I'm on the floor under my bike.
I feel your pain. Having had a clipless moment a few days ago, I thought I'd learned my lesson. Yesterday, I was cycling along a quiet country road and saw a couple of cyclists riding towards me. As we neared each other, I realised they were people I knew. Then I got so caught up in slowing down and saying hello that I forgot about being clipped in. I'm left with an image of their startled expressions as I slowly toppled to the deck. They feigned concern, but I could see their shoulders shaking. :blush:

Top Bottom