Clipless lessness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Removed the Clipless pedals on my fast bike today. Contrary to the views of many, I did not notice any advantages, only disadvantages. And because I didn't like them I was reluctant to ride the bike.

The new Shimano MX80s look quite nice on the bike - and will allow me to tear about in my wellies should the mood take me.

I will put the Clipless pedals and shoes on eBay.

Rapha wellies one hopes.....

screenman

Legendary Member
So far I have only used it for cycling. Perhaps that's my problem.

You are not getting it are you? You may use your bike to commute or tour I use mine purely for exercise, which is why I clip in, ride then clip out.

theloafer

Legendary Member
As long as you are enjoying riding the bike it doesn't really matter. I have bikes with spd-sl with flat pedals and soon to have a 1980 bike with toe clips. Variety is the spice of life.
all 3 of my bike,s have toe clips tourer/carbon road/commuter used them for 30+years with no problem and have no issues walking ^_^ like they say "if it`s not broke why fix it" :laugh:

U

User6179

Still got a black and white TV there, after all if it is not broke.^_^

Not really like for like that , a colour TV has the advantage of colour over B&W but no real disadvantage , clipless has advantages and disadvantages over toe clips .

U

User6179

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit I used toe clips from 1969 until 1988 since then I have been clipped in on all my bikes, whilst riding.

Last edited:
U

User6179

I must admit I used toe clips from 1969 until 1988 since then I have been clipped in on all my bikes.

How do you walk about or work if your feet have been clipped into to pedals since 1988 :whistle:

Going upstairs must be a nightmare ^_^

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Your feet really need to be mechanically fixed to your bicycle pedals to get the maximum efficiency from the pedal action. It's an actual fact that if you cycled for a year not clipped in you will have wasted enough energy to provide power to a small semi-detached house in Congleton. Or summat.

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
not clipped in you will have wasted enough energy to provide power to a small semi-detached house in Congleton. Or summat.

On the other hand, cycle 100 miles clipped in an eat three cakes guilt-free. Cycle 100 miles on flat pedals and eat five cakes guilt-free. If you like cakes, flat pedals are the way to go. [Note that like almost all the other "facts" stated about clipless cycling, this one is completely anecdotal]

Top Bottom