Clipless lessness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
On the other hand, cycle 100 miles clipped in an eat three cakes guilt-free. Cycle 100 miles on flat pedals and eat five cakes guilt-free. If you like cakes, flat pedals are the way to go. [Note that like almost all the other "facts" stated about clipless cycling, this one is completely anecdotal]
I should think I would be good for six cakes after 100 miles, on flats.

D

Deleted member 1258

Removed the Clipless pedals on my fast bike today. Contrary to the views of many, I did not notice any advantages, only disadvantages. And because I didn't like them I was reluctant to ride the bike.

The new Shimano MX80s look quite nice on the bike - and will allow me to tear about in my wellies should the mood take me.

I will put the Clipless pedals and shoes on eBay.

For the last four years I've had clips and straps on one bike and clipless on my other bike, I've not seen any advantage to the clipless pedals, I've found no difference between the two systems, of the two systems I prefer the clips and straps, I'll be putting those on any new bike I buy,

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
On a fixie the ability to pull as well as push can make quite a big difference - especially going uphill - and of course it's a big help with back-pedal braking. And I've always remembered a post on an American forum re my PD-M340s - 'God loves a man who puts speedies on a fixie.' There's no way I'd go back to non-clipless for anything other than my pub bike.

D

Deleted member 1258

On a fixie the ability to pull as well as push can make quite a big difference - especially going uphill - and of course it's a big help with back-pedal braking. And I've always remembered a post on an American forum re my PD-M340s - 'God loves a man who puts speedies on a fixie.' There's no way I'd go back to non-clipless for anything other than my pub bike.

I can pedal circles and pull up on the pedals just as well on clips and straps as I can on clipless, I have the clips and straps on my fixed and I'm happy with them.

screenman

Legendary Member
I used to find straps uncomfortable on 3 hour + rides, I also find clueless far quicker to get my foot off the pedals.

I can understand how some people find the complicated though, all that twisting the foot very slightly to disengage.

Do you people still on toe clips use shoe plates?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

I used to find straps uncomfortable on 3 hour + rides, I also find clueless far quicker to get my foot off the pedals.

I can understand how some people find the complicated though, all that twisting the foot very slightly to disengage.

Do you people still on toe clips use shoe plates?

I haven't used shoe plates for years, I don't think they are available any more, I've done all day rides on Clips and Straps and have been comfortable, with clips and straps I tend to tighten the right one up and use the sweet spot for the left, I have the left just tight enough to enable me to pull up and pedal circles but not that tight I cannot wriggle my my foot out at junctions.

screenman

Legendary Member

I do not think your screen can spell, I know sometimes my keyboard cannot.

Top Bottom