Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iamRayRay

Quads of Steel
Ah yes, I remember my first clip in fall / fail.

I was coasting next to my (then wife-to-be_ practicing clipping in and out. Then we went a bit slow at one point and I simply - in slow motion - leant over and splatted on the ground to my left. The bruise was magnificent and the pride was left somewhere between that concrete slab and the bush that broke my fall.

double0jedi

I just ditched my clipless pedals. They were Shimano A530 pedels, which i brought after much reading and advice from others that clipless would improve performance.
I brought them in January and I had a three clipless moments. One was quite comical and was when I was testing how to release, I was holding on to a wall for stability and let go.
But the last one was quite serious and really rocked my confidence. I was going up a hill on a country lane, the side of the road dropped away quickly and was very steep. As I was coming up to the top of the hill which was on a corner a there was a van parked on the opposite side of the road, the driver was on the phone. I checked to see what was coming and as it was clear carried on, then a FEDEX van flew around the corner and saw the parked van and pulled out to go around it, and right towards me. I instinctively braked and went to put my foot down. I fell right of the side of the road, further than the normal ninety degrees , hurt my neck and shoulder quite badly.

I have tried to use the clipless pedals since but each time I use them, I will be honest, I crap myself. I am scared to death of them. Tried for a couple of months to get back into sync with them but never go my confidence back. Put my standard pedals back on the bike today and went for a ride. Loved it.

I can have seen the benefit fo them, but not for me I am afraid.

I just ditched my clipless pedals. They were Shimano A530 pedels, which i brought after much reading and advice from others that clipless would improve performance.
I brought them in January and I had a three clipless moments. One was quite comical and was when I was testing how to release, I was holding on to a wall for stability and let go.
But the last one was quite serious and really rocked my confidence. I was going up a hill on a country lane, the side of the road dropped away quickly and was very steep. As I was coming up to the top of the hill which was on a corner a there was a van parked on the opposite side of the road, the driver was on the phone. I checked to see what was coming and as it was clear carried on, then a FEDEX van flew around the corner and saw the parked van and pulled out to go around it, and right towards me. I instinctively braked and went to put my foot down. I fell right of the side of the road, further than the normal ninety degrees , hurt my neck and shoulder quite badly.

I have tried to use the clipless pedals since but each time I use them, I will be honest, I crap myself. I am scared to death of them. Tried for a couple of months to get back into sync with them but never go my confidence back. Put my standard pedals back on the bike today and went for a ride. Loved it.

I can have seen the benefit fo them, but not for me I am afraid.

i tried them and didn't like them either tried several times but still didn't get on well with them so reverted back to standard pedals.

I like clueless pedals but, having arthritic knees, have had a few ooh-er moments,
particularly toward the end of a long ride, swivelling the legs to unclip. I think I shall also revert to standard.

mick1836

Über Member
Have fitted the pedals together with the plastic clip in platform so still using as a 'normal' pedal, still working up the courage to wear my new shoes with cleats clipped in:hyper::eek:

mick1836

Über Member
Just been reading in the Face Book group The Bike Bible https://www.facebook.com/groups/thebikebible/
of riders coming to grief when using clipless pedals, now I know from reading the comments within these FAQ pages that you need to practice clipping & un-clipping when approaching junctions,traffic lights and other road hazards
but I'm getting the message that its when the unexpected happens is when you are likely to get caught out. :sad:

RegG

Über Member
I have read through the many pages of this thread with interest but now feel even more confused about whether I should go for road shoes/cleats/pedals :unsure: . I have recently got back into cycling and bought a Giant Defy 0 a few weeks ago. At the moment it has ordinary pedals but I have been considering upgrading to Shimano PDR 540 SPD/SL road pedals and cleats combined with some Shimano RO88 or RO107 shoes..... The cycling I do is mainly around the countryside with only a small amount of urban traffic to contend with. Although I am just the wrong side of 60 I am reasonably fit and have no issues with joint pain etc so think I would be ok unclipping etc.

Would I be wasting my money on shoes and pedals or would I notice real benefits?

Gez73

Veteran
Hi @RegG I only use spd cleats and shoes with a recessed cleat, actually the M088 which is the MBT version of the shoes you mention. I would recommend going for it and seeing how you go. There will always be a market for the kit should it not suit. You could always try the SPD/SL and if it doesn't suit try regular spd with the same shoe as me. Let us know how you get on Gez

RegG

Über Member
Hi @RegG I only use spd cleats and shoes with a recessed cleat, actually the M088 which is the MBT version of the shoes you mention. I would recommend going for it and seeing how you go. There will always be a market for the kit should it not suit. You could always try the SPD/SL and if it doesn't suit try regular spd with the same shoe as me. Let us know how you get on Gez
Thanks Gez73. I have plumped for the Shimano r107 shoes with the Shimano SPD-SL pedals. Shoes have had to be ordered in my size so will be a few days before I get to try them. Will try hard not to have the 'inevitable' embarrassing moment!

Gez73

Veteran
They are not inevitable, just likely in the very early stages. Some people have none, some a few. You will be fine. I narrated my commute to myself when I started using cleats. A running commentary on possible reasons to unclip if you follow. Whatever works. Keep the tension loose until you get used to them to give yourself maximum get out time. Do let us know how you get on 'mishaps' and all! ☺Gez

Glass Kites

I made the switch to clipless this week, and done some quick testing up and down our driveway - figuring out clipping in/out, just against the wall (which was necessary!)

I've altered the tension on the pedals so in theory they should be on the easiest release tension. But the whole 'unclipping' process is still quite clunky/forceful. Is that normal?

Going to take them for a test out on the roads later this evening. Fully expecting some bruising.

Glass Kites

Well, I went out on them last night (clipless pedals) for a quick 20miles just to try them out. Didn't fall over. No close calls either. Also added an extra 2mph to my average ^_^

RegG

Über Member
Fitted my clipless pedals last night and got the bike out this morning for my first ride. Great!! No problems unclipping, more so with clipping in the second pedal having pulled away but found that if I don't look down at the pedal it goes in easier!! Not sure if it is going to improve my average speed yet until I go out on my own - my partner is still building her confidence. At least there were no embarrassing (or painful) moments! As for the Shimano R107 shoes (from Wiggle) they are very comfortable and look good. :becool:

Glass Kites

Yeah, I agree with you re: easier to clip back in without looking. Seems much easier than my straps were, as the weight of them seemed to make them hang upside down each time. But with the clipless, they seem to hang vertically almost, which is handy.

Mentally - going clipless also feels like a big step for me!

J1888

Über Member
Rather stupidly I decided to try and clip my new SPD-SL shoes into my new pedals, before attaching the new pedals to the bike.

Now, I can't get the shoe free from the pedal-any idea?!?

Top Bottom