Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RegG

Über Member
I've had my Shimano SPD-SL's for about a month now and would not change them. I find them easy to clip in and out of and have not (yet!) had any embarrassing moments. Not sure if they have improved my times etc as I don't go out trying to beat previous times but I do find them easy to use and comfortable with the Shimano R107 road shoes.

Gert Lush

Managed to lose three of the bolts holding my adapter plate to the shoe on my ride today. Had a very awkward and painful ride home holding my shoes and riding in socks. Luckily I was only a couple of miles away from my house and not as far as I had planned to be.

Have emailed Wiggle to see if I can snag some replacements but otherwise not sure where I can get them from.

Glass Kites

Anyone know when cleats should be replaced?

Do you replace them when they just look battered. Or will they eventually stop clipping in/out?

Gez73

Veteran
Anyone know when cleats should be replaced?

Do you replace them when they just look battered. Or will they eventually stop clipping in/out?
Depends on whether or not you walk on them, the recessed ones should last ages but others will wear out quicker if subject to walking on them. Replace before the fixing bolts get too damaged to be removed or when the clip in/out becomes too easy and you find yourself not able to remain clipped in easily. I only use recessed spd on a mountain bike type shoe so never needed to replace. Gez

Glass Kites

SPD-SLs. Mine are looking a bit rough, but still work fine. There are yellow parts on the bottom, which I'm assuming may be a sign of wear once they're gone?

Gez73

Veteran
No idea about wear indicators on spd-sl cleats but they are common so should be more useful contributors along shortly. Gez

Grumpyfatman

When my regular SPD clips are worn it starts becoming very easy to clip out unintentionally. Really not sure about SPD-sl's though, I've never used them.

Most clipless riders have had 'accidents', my last one was Thursday just gone. It was my own actions that unbalanced me but I couldn't concentrate on unclipping as I was concentrating on not hitting steel fencing. It's been years since my last clipless accident before this one though. This time a buckled front wheel and some bruises were what I have to show for myself.
Still it really isn't that bad, I far prefer riding with the clips to riding without. I feel far more connected to the bike, but I personally use a pair of mixed pedals so I can ride with and without the SPD shoes

rjb70Stoke

Another step forward today, riding in cycling shoes with SPD-SL cleats and clipless pedals. Was quite nervous for the first few yards, and when the first junction came, unclipping was fine. The clipping back in was just disastrous!!! I must have gone 50 yards trying to clip in the cleats, I was getting a little anxious to say the least.

Fortunately as the day wore on clipping in got easier and it has to be said the sense of extra power from the legs makes it worth the effort.

the_craig

Über Member
Made the switch to clipless pedals this week. I don't know if it's because I have new shoes and new pedals, but I certainly feel like I'm better on the bike. Went for SPD-SL pedals and got a pair of DHB shoes.

However, I have lost a screw and square washer from my cleats already. I can get screws online but I'm struggling to get the square washer.

Do I really need the washer or can I just use a screw on its own?
And until they come, am I safe to just use the cleats secured with only two bolts rather than three?

Brian Stacks

Clip less moments I've had a few over the last twelve months. The worst was when I couldn'tunclip in time and went into my friends back wheel which cost me £160 to replace. I would definitely recommend to unclip before a junction!

Top Bottom