Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
All my bikes have Shimano M515 SPDs and the only issue as such that I have is when I unclip one foot at lights, junctions etc., from fifty plus years of habit, it is ALWAYS the left foot that comes off. So this means that the left SPD will wear out faster that the right - at least in theory - ! I have tried right foot unclip, but the left foot habit is so ingrained, it's going to take a LOT of practise before I'd be fluid with it. And also I tend to push off right footed.
Obviously I can't swap pedals round, so can one buy single new pedals I wonder - ? At least M515s are double sided, so they take twice as long to wear out - !

All my bikes have Shimano M515 SPDs and the only issue as such that I have is when I unclip one foot at lights, junctions etc., from fifty plus years of habit, it is ALWAYS the left foot that comes off. So this means that the left SPD will wear out faster that the right - at least in theory - ! I have tried right foot unclip, but the left foot habit is so ingrained, it's going to take a LOT of practise before I'd be fluid with it. And also I tend to push off right footed.
Obviously I can't swap pedals round, so can one buy single new pedals I wonder - ? At least M515s are double sided, so they take twice as long to wear out - !
If you draw around our cleat positions on your shoes you can swap the left and right cleat around regularly and easily to help even up the wear rate.

Racheluk

Regular
I've only ever used MTB SPDs not road cleats, but have (luckily!) never not managed to unclip in time.. am surprised how may people won't ride clipped in as it scares them, but are quite happy to ride with toe clips and straps, which terrifies me! No way I'd manage to pull my foot backwards in time.. twisting is so much easier.. Just start on a soft surface with no traffic/distractions, and after a while you'll feel loads safer clipped in than you ever did on flats, especially if you ride MTB, no more scraped shins!

Jody

Stubborn git
it is ALWAYS the left foot that comes off. So this means that the left SPD will wear out faster that the right - at least in theory - !

My original SPD's are 28+ years old and not worn out yet. Cleats might wear but the pedal should keep going for a while.

Jody

Stubborn git
it is ALWAYS the left foot that comes off. So this means that the left SPD will wear out faster that the right - at least in theory - !

My original SPD's are 28+ years old and not worn out yet. Cleats might wear but the pedal should keep going for a while.

Gert Lush

I'm a doofus! I only just realised that with SPD-SL pedals the cleat sits in the gap on the pedals and not under the built up bit! I always thought the pedals went the other way around! Doh!

ozLl6.jpg

Licramite

Über Member
Does anyone who has ridden with them for a while actually ever think about unclipping?

yep - I have fallen off so many times because of the damn clips, this year for the sake of my battered body , they is coming off.

They is fine when your all fresh and bouncy and alert , but when your knackered and hanging on by your chin strap they catch me out every bloody time.
They may give me some extra speed but they is not worth the damage. hell I don't go fast enough to justify them anyway.

screenman

Legendary Member
yep - I have fallen off so many times because of the damn clips, this year for the sake of my battered body , they is coming off.

They is fine when your all fresh and bouncy and alert , but when your knackered and hanging on by your chin strap they catch me out every bloody time.
They may give me some extra speed but they is not worth the damage. hell I don't go fast enough to justify them anyway.

Do you drive a car? if so when was the last time you thought about putting your foot on the clutch and easing it out whilst feedin extra throttle on.

RamirezAGC

Thanks for the beginners guide. Tonight I'm embracing the cleats and installing them since buying them months ago. As I'm mainly using a turbo trainer at the moment I thought is would give me plenty of practise whilst being tightly clamped in

Swifty

Über Member
First attempt this weekend with new shoes and pedals .should I shorten my normal 30 mile trip or just go for it and hope I don't fall off at a junction have been practicing unclipping but I imagine it's different out on the road .any advice?

Garry A

Calibrating.....
Go for it, you get into the habit of unclipping when coming up to junctions and lights. When I had switched to flats on another bike a while back I found myself going to unclip out of habit. You can unclip pretty quick when you need to in a panic :whistle:

Swifty

Über Member
Won't have to worry about traffic lights they are a bit rare around where I go just a bit worried about the first time I have to stop in a hurry

Swifty

Über Member
First outing of just over 22 miles with the clips felt ok no dramas lots of practice before going out and only one set of traffic lights which were on green liked the feel of them so quite happy

Top Bottom