Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stevec047

Über Member
The most 'challenging' time is not when you're out, you tend to be more focused then but when you pull up at home :eek: DAMHIKT

PS. did I mention I live opposite a pub where the smokers tend to congregate on the carpark at the front. :blush:
Oh now that is embarrassing don't mind falling over in the middle of the country side but right outside a pub as your home must out a dampener on a nice ride out?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Joe Blow is mine. I have been using it for about 3 years and works very well.

RichardB

Slightly retro
I bought a pair of the Aldi cycling shoes when they were on offer, and decided to give clipless a try (I'm a firm believer in toe-clips 'n' straps). I got some Shimano A530s and put them on the Dawes. It was only this week that I have been able to try them out. First impressions, great. I like the feeling of being 'locked in' and I didn't have any problems releasing (and remembering to do so). A couple of things:

1. It would be good to be able to adjust the cleats while riding, to get the foot position exactly right. But if you leave the cleats slightly loose, you can't unclip them from the pedals. Don't ask ... I think for me it will be a case of adjust and try, several times until I get them right. They are almost there at the moment, but I need them about 1/4" further back (ball of foot over the spindle) and pointing slightly inwards. Does that sound about right to people?

2. I have both pedals set to the minimum tension as a starter setting. No problems staying clipped in, but the left pedal takes a lot more effort to release than the right one. Anything I am missing?

Jaykun85

sadly i had a clipless moment on my MTB approaching a hill in the wrong gear went to a standstill and couldn't unclip in time so went straight down onto my knee. Though trying not to look too embarrassed i laughed at the guy watching this super embarrassing moment who started laughing to..
I quickly got up and started cycling the last 4 miles home. Only to realise when reaching home i had half of the path impaled in my knee.

I bought a pair of the Aldi cycling shoes when they were on offer, and decided to give clipless a try (I'm a firm believer in toe-clips 'n' straps). I got some Shimano A530s and put them on the Dawes. It was only this week that I have been able to try them out. First impressions, great. I like the feeling of being 'locked in' and I didn't have any problems releasing (and remembering to do so). A couple of things:

1. It would be good to be able to adjust the cleats while riding, to get the foot position exactly right. But if you leave the cleats slightly loose, you can't unclip them from the pedals. Don't ask ... I think for me it will be a case of adjust and try, several times until I get them right. They are almost there at the moment, but I need them about 1/4" further back (ball of foot over the spindle) and pointing slightly inwards. Does that sound about right to people?

2. I have both pedals set to the minimum tension as a starter setting. No problems staying clipped in, but the left pedal takes a lot more effort to release than the right one. Anything I am missing?
I also bought these shoes, just tried them but I seem to be seriously "toe in". Can I adjust them to bring my toes out, but it seems the only adjustment is front to back. Any thoughts?

screenman

Legendary Member
I also bought these shoes, just tried them but I seem to be seriously "toe in". Can I adjust them to bring my toes out, but it seems the only adjustment is front to back. Any thoughts?

Are you sure on that? can you give us a picture please. My Aldi shoes adjust the same as my far more expensive one's do.

Attachments

• DSC_0009.JPG
    DSC_0009.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 92

RichardB

Slightly retro
Aldi shoes ... Bear in mind that this is the first pair of clip-type shoes I have had, but there seems to be plenty of leeway with the screws slightly loose to adjust the angle as well as front-to-back. The problem I had was leaving them loose (to get the position and 'toe-in' just right) meant that it was impossible to unclip them as the cleat was moving in its mount rather than springing out. I had to take the shoes off and take them off the pedals manually. I guesstimated it and they work fine, but I think getting it 100% right will involve trial and error - screw them up tight, ride, take them off, adjust, screw them up tight ... and so on.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Another thing ... I went out on the bike the other day wearing ordinary trainers, and the A350 pedals work just as well with normal shoes (using the correct side, of course). So they are genuinely dual-purpose. Very impressed with them.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Can't see the photo (blocked at work) and I am 13 miles away from the shoes, but as I recall it there was a fair amount of adjustment possible before tightening the screws, as the holes in the cleat were elongated.

Can't see the photo (blocked at work) and I am 13 miles away from the shoes, but as I recall it there was a fair amount of adjustment possible before tightening the screws, as the holes in the cleat were elongated.
I think I've sorted it, as RichardB pointed out to me, there is a considerable amount of lateral movement where the cleats can be adjusted left and right. I was of the thinking that the cleats needed to rotate to create a more "toe out" angle but my adjustments seem to have worked a treat. Looking forward to a nice long ride out on Sunday, time to get in shape for the Glasgow to Edinburgh run in September.

J1888

Über Member
Got some new Boardman spds for my new steed - sometimes clipping out isn't working and it's a really struggle to yank myself free before toppling over - could it be that the tension is set too low?

Top Bottom