Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yorkyred

Regular
Can I ask, I'm just using a pair of trail shoes to ride just now. Can you actually use cycling shoes as they are without the clip in pedals ? Not really got the extra money just now and wonder if I just pick up a second hand pair of shoes to get me going.

Gez73

Veteran
An MBT type shoe with a recessed cleat in the sole can be used on normal flat pedals. You could try to find shoes but you may as well get the pedals too and see how you get on. What shoe size are you? Try posting in the wanted section of the classifieds.

Yorkyred

Regular
An MBT type shoe with a recessed cleat in the sole can be used on normal flat pedals. You could try to find shoes but you may as well get the pedals too and see how you get on. What shoe size are you? Try posting in the wanted section of the classifieds.
I'm an 8.5, don't think I have the ability to post on the wanted section just yet though. Still waiting on enough posts just now.

Gez73

Veteran
Fair enough, you might as well get pedal and shoe if you want to try clipless. Cycling shoes work best when clipped in. Keep posting here and you will get sorted in no time. Clips not as scary as you might think but some options are better than others for a first time using clipless. Gez

bikeman66

Can I ask, I'm just using a pair of trail shoes to ride just now. Can you actually use cycling shoes as they are without the clip in pedals ? Not really got the extra money just now and wonder if I just pick up a second hand pair of shoes to get me going.
Wiggle have entry level Shimano clipless mountain bike pedals for about £17-18, which is a good deal. Got my son a pair last year and they work just fine. Wiggle also have some pretty reasonably priced shoes too. My son has the dhb ones for about £32-33, and again, they are pretty good. A bit chunky maybe, but functionally excellent.

I use the same pedals on both my mountain bikes and my road bike (Time ATAC's) so that I don't have to fork out for two pairs of shoes. Pure roadies might have a fit when they see MTB pedals on a road bike, but it works for me.

You should be fine using most MTB type shoes with flat pedals, but if you can afford to shell out £17-18 for some entry level pedals, I think you'll really appreciate the difference they can make to your cycling.

Gez73

Veteran
Shimano_SPD_MTB_Pedals_PDM545.jpg

I have a pair of these in the shed. They are the same on each side but can be used without cleated shoes. The mechanism can still be felt under normal shoes but is not too intrusive. Used but still useful. Have shoes too that might just fit. They are an 8 but a loose fitting 8. You might get away with them just to try for a bit. Let me know if you want to try them snd I will dig them out and get them to you. If they don't suit, we have a free stuff section in the classified area. Gez

Yorkyred

Regular
Shimano_SPD_MTB_Pedals_PDM545.jpg

I have a pair of these in the shed. They are the same on each side but can be used without cleated shoes. The mechanism can still be felt under normal shoes but is not too intrusive. Used but still useful. Have shoes too that might just fit. They are an 8 but a loose fitting 8. You might get away with them just to try for a bit. Let me know if you want to try them snd I will dig them out and get them to you. If they don't suit, we have a free stuff section in the classified area. Gez
That's really good of you, yes please.
Mark

Gez73

Veteran
You can messsge me your address, use the pm function. Click on my name and 'start a conversation' Will post them as soon as I can. Would appreciate postage costs though? Let me know if you want to proceed and I will send them then advise on postage. Gez

Last edited:

Gez73

Veteran
@Yorkyred
20160127_121607.jpg
I will get these off tomorrow. I have put copper grease on them to avoid seizing. The pedals have a hex key opening on the back so you don't need a thin spanner afterall. I was not sure about that. Remember Left pedal is reverse threaded! Get help or ask here if unsure. Will let you know postage cost once sent. Take care, Gez

Stevec047

Über Member
I have just got a pair of shimano spd a530's clip one side flat on the other and have paired them up with a pair of specialzed mtb shoes.

Currently just practicing on the turbo before I venture out on the road but really impressed with them. 20160203_185644.jpg 20160203_191502.jpg 20160203_190745.jpg

Attachments

• 20160203_185644.jpg
    20160203_185644.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 20160203_190745.jpg
    20160203_190745.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 81

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I have just got a pair of shimano spd a530's clip one side flat on the other and have paired them up with a pair of specialzed mtb shoes.

Currently just practicing on the turbo before I venture out on the road but really impressed with them. View attachment 117848 View attachment 117849 View attachment 117850

The most 'challenging' time is not when you're out, you tend to be more focused then but when you pull up at home :eek: DAMHIKT

PS. did I mention I live opposite a pub where the smokers tend to congregate on the carpark at the front. :blush:

Top Bottom