Clipless Pedals FAQ

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Suddabym

Are these 2 bolt shoes as I’m not sure ? I have 2 bolt cleats and looking to buy online and don’t want to buy the wrong ones.

Attachments

• 44D541B0-465E-4825-BC44-EF0C3895041B.jpeg
    44D541B0-465E-4825-BC44-EF0C3895041B.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 62

Gez73

Veteran
They will take both two and three bolt cleats. There are two pairs of holes for the two bolt cleats . You can place the cleats towards the front or closer to the middle of the sole.

Suddabym

They will take both two and three bolt cleats. There are two pairs of holes for the two bolt cleats . You can place the cleats towards the front or closer to the middle of the sole.
Brilliant thank you I will order them now

Jenkins

Legendary Member
They will be difficult to walk in 'though as the cleats are not recessed. You should be looking for something with a sole that looks like this:
fwe-pitch-sport-mtb-shoe-black-EV315600-8500-4.jpg

Rosie 5678

Great post with a lot of detailed information for newbies. After being sold some when I bought my bike and after numerous falls and bent handlebars they're boxed safely away in the garage! I've tried so many times to get used to them and I just can't get away with them. I'm ok having one foot clipped in as long as I've got my other foot free but I tend to just wear trainers and use normal pedals :rolleyes:

MrPorridge

I'm coming at this from the opposite angle to @Rosie 5678 above in that I've avoided clipping-in for many years but, having tried it for the first time this year, I'm very happy.

I was given a pair of cheap-and-cheerful Wellgo dual-sided SPD/flat pedals by my brother. I bought some even cheaper, yet equally cheerful, Decathlon entry-level shoes to go with them. The cleats seem a bit "over to one side" but that's the odd nature of the shoes (you even have to hack a little "trap door" in them with a stanley knife to reveal the bolt holes!). Also have absolutely no idea about cleat position (they're in the forward position of the two available) but despite my lack of any adjustment, they feel comfortable and seem to work.

As I said, I resisted clipping-in for many years, fearing all kinds of terrifying incidents in which I was somehow dragged under steamrollers or into blast furnaces because I couldn't detach myself from my push-iron. Turns out it's all reasonably straight forward (other than having to get the SPD side up in order to clip in) and generally feels better, particularly going uphill. Wish I'd done it years ago!

I can't see myself going for the "proper" SPD SLs any time but am now tempted to try some double-sided SPDs, so I don't have to keep mucking about trying to get the clip side on top when setting off. That said, it's nice just to be able to use the flat side when I know it's only a short hop to the next set of lights or other cause to stop.

I guess it's one of those "suck it and see" things but I've been pleasantly surprised with it all. As they say on these online doodads, YMMV.

£29 shoes pictured below:

big_1325031.jpg

DSK

Newbie back to cycling after the best part of 20 years, straight into SPD cleats and pedals.

I practised a few times in the conservatory, whilst holding onto a dining table. Seemed to get the jist of it.

I then went into the driveway and it was relatively easy but a lack of momentum saw me bounce of the walls and wheelie bins a couple of times.

I went out on the road for the first time and the worst bit again was, I tried to clip in instantly so nearly ended up bouncing of the cars in the driveway but, I ended up stopping. Onto the road, with one foot clipped in and the second foot seemed to naturally find its way in and off I went.

I find it easier to clip the un-clipped shoe in, when the pedal is at the bottom, so set off with reasonable momentum driving with the clipped in shoe, then hold the un-clipped pedal at the bottom, clip in and go.

Skanker

I have clipless on my upright but I prefer flat pedals and trainers when I’m riding that to be honest, probably because I forget myself and do stupid stuff like I’m 15 again. I need my feet free and with extra grip on my soles to catch myself too often, especially so when winter kicks in and I put my 15 year old head on permanently for fun playing on the snow and ice.
I was thinking of swapping them onto my recumbent as I keep my feet on the pedals even when stopped and I have been advised many, many times that it would be much better riding the recumbent with them.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's an unpopular view, but in my experience people tend to have clipless 'moments'because their basic, fundamental bike control skills aren't sufficiently developed in the first place. Of the riders I've trained I could tell pretty quick who was sufficiently competent that they'd get on with them, and who wasn't.

Wobbling

Regular
Two tips always unclip your right foot if your going to fall over you will fall left away from the traffic.
At first always unclip 5 yards early just to be sure at a junction or lights until you get your confidence up

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've mentioned what worked for me before ... Go to the park and ride around slowly on the grass for an hour, clipping and unclipping, clipping and unclipping. Clip. Unclip. Clip. Unclip.

I'm a huge clutz so you'd think I'd be prime clipless moment material, but I've never had one. Mind you I already had years of using toeclips and straps programmed into my dinosaur nervous system.

At first always unclip 5 yards early just to be sure at a junction or lights until you get your confidence up
Personally, I always do that. No "at first" about it.

Top Bottom