Clipless Pedals & Reflectors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brush3287

Hi
I've just fitted a pair of Wellgo pedals using Lidl's incredible value for money shoes. Now it looks as if the pedals may not be strictly legal - no reflectors!
As I'm not familiar with what happens these days on matters like this being a returning newbie, I wondered does anyone bother?
Am I likely to be nicked in the event of riding in the dark & being in an accident?
Can you fit reflectors to this type of pedal?

I have never heard of anyone being done for having no pedal reflectors, in fact I am the only person I know who has them. I 'think' the law only requires them 'at point of sale', but am not sure about this.

As for 'can you get them' for clipless pedals, my m424's have a frame that wraps around the pedal and holds the reflectors. Not the sturdiest thing, but I know mine are pedal specific, so I would assume that it depends on the actual pedal.
If you have double sided pedals then something like this would work if you really really want some.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
brush3287 said:
Hi
I wondered does anyone bother?

I don't bother, I can't imagine there is any chance of being nicked for it.

You can get platform type pedals with SPD clips which will take reflectors if you want to be strictly legal (usually single-sided, SPD one side, platform the other and a cage around which will take a reflector).

Yup it's a legal requirement to have amber reflectors front and rear of pedals if used during the hours of darkness. Relective tape on the shoes might have the same effect but the laws on vehicle illumination say pedals so tough.
I get the impression that clip on reflectors for clipless pedals where available have a life expectancy of not very long.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
There is a legal requirement to have two reflectors on each pedal if you are cycling at night, it is one of these areas where the law is more honoured in the breach than the observance. In reality you would have to seriously pi$$ off the police before they would nick you for it. There is an argument that pedal reflectors are good because when seen at night they can only be on a bicycle and of course all drivers are scrupulosity careful when it comes to looking for cyclists. Personally I prefer to have a bright set of lights...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Banjo said:
If your concerned you can buy reflective bands that go around your ankles held on with velcro.

Most clipless shoes have reflective bits on the heals as well, but these are not considered substitutes for pedal reflectors in law, don't kid your self. If you want to be street legal then Shimano SPD's all have the option of fitting pedal reflectors, but they are hard to come by as no one bothers with them. :wacko:

I bought Shimano A530 pedals like these ones from a UK supplier, then (because I am like this) bought a set of the Shimano-made reflectors froma German bike shop, as they are not imported into this country. The reasaon for the non-import is probably because the reflectors cost nearly the same as the ruddy pedals did! (pedals about £33.00, reflectors £29.00 by the time I'd had them posted).
I only did this so that, fate forbid I ever do get knocked off, I don;t want some bamstick insurance company wriggling out of paying me on a technicality like not having pedal reflectors.

Top Bottom