Clipless pedals .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alan57

Just bought some Shimano M520 clipless pedals they are my first experience of clipless and i`ve used them on my mtb for the past 2 rides out. I`ve found them very easy for riding and they seem to increase the power when pedaling. I`ve had a couple of , " i`m not going to be able to disconnect", moments but have managed it .However, I still am aware of being clipped in and know I am more cautious when riding because of this. So how long did it take those of you that are clipless to become confident and comfortable with them ?

D

Deleted member 23692

Took me less than a mile to get used to them... however it was cycling round the local park and I was constantly clipping in and out whilst cycling;)

Cubist

Still wavin'
It'll take you a few rides, and even then you'll still have the occasional hairy moment, but eventually, and you won't realise it because it's so progressive, it'll become absolutely second nature.

The worst one I had was getting my shoe stuck between the pedal and the chain stay, it was just enough time to fall off dismount involuntarily.

Interested to hear that some MTBers also use clipless.

Cubist

Still wavin'
The worst one I had was getting my shoe stuck between the pedal and the chain stay, it was just enough time to fall off dismount involuntarily.

Interested to hear that some MTBers also use clipless.
More or less started clipless. I have some flat pedals now, but it feels really weird on them. Mtbing on techy descents is a really good way to learn an instinctive unclipping strategy!

Motozulu

Über Member
Have been clipless from day one - being a complete beginner I had some comedy moments - but am now at the stage where I just can't ride without em.

Okay, clipless it is then. I can't imagine I'd feel too great without them what with being so used to them on a road bike.

i'm new to the whole mountain bike thing only been ridin for 4 months and 3 of those have been on clip less pedals .Took me a couple of weeks to forget that I had them on and for the twist dismount to come naturally, mind you having said that I had my first crash with bike still attached to feet moment the other day ,not the most comfortable landing in the world but I dare say there is worse to com :/

defy-one

ordered some Shimano M324 pedals tonight .... spd one side, and flats on the other. perfect combo for the hybrid commuter/mud slinger/offroader/goto bike

Licramite

Über Member
I just gone clipless, - put them on my mtb so if I came off if wouln't be under a truck.- only had 2 clipless moments , both times bike sank in mud and stopped , first time I unclipped my left foot and fell over on my right , handle bar in chest, (impressive bruise) second time got it right unclipped my right foot but took to long and landed on my knee.

but I,m sold, I really understand what this pulling the pedal is all about , loads more power in the pedal, santa's getting me a set of shimano m250s for my road bike (I hope) - well I dropped big enough hints.

all for less than £25 pedals,clips and shoes - good old ebay.

Luke Tovey

It took me 1 ride to get used to mine, however I did get overconfident and fell over at a set of traffic light in front of a lot of people! It was very funny but very embarrassing. Try loosening the resistance screw on the pedal so it is easier to un clip untill you are 100% confident on them, then you can turn the resistance up in a few rides.

Luke - WHS

HovR

Über Member
I moved from clips and straps a while ago. I loved the security of a tightened strap, but hated the constant tightening/untightening. I got used to them pretty much straight away, probably because I was used to undoing straps at every stop.

Haven't had a clipless moment yet, although came close on my first 50 mile ride with them. Hundreds of miles in now and it just feels completely natural.

Top Bottom