Clipless pedals .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Motozulu

Über Member
I've found that in time, your feet develop a kind of muscle memory. Last couple of 'I think I'm coming off here' moments I've found my foot doing the twist release thing before I've even realised I'm going down.

Well it's either muscle memory or your foot becomes directly linked to your sphincter. :laugh:

OP
OP
Alan57

Alan57

Really starting to like them now.

Drago

Legendary Member
I adapted pretty much instantly. My unpopular theory is that many riders switch to them before their basic riding and machine handling skills are properly developed, and this is where a lot of problems arise.

adamangler

Veteran
Just put some on my cx bike for the road, but no way would use them for mtb, my riding style i love getting a foot off round berms etc, and tend to ride hard and throw the bike about, will sacrifice a bit of power for being able to chuck the bike about and bail quickly, ie on slippy rocks or wood etc you just havent got that split second imo

DuffSpy

M520's arrived this morning, I'm a pro at unnatural dismounts, anyways, going to love the extra power.

screenman

Legendary Member
adamangler, you can still throw the bike about only with more control so there is not so much need to get the foot down so often.

Boon 51

Veteran
My only comment on this is... I started with some Shimano 087s with SPD 540 pedals on my road bike and will put them on my mtb next week and I've just got some Sidi Pro 5s shoes with Ultegra 6700 pedals( SPD SL's) and I hate them, I wish now I got the first shoes and pedals again and not bothered with the last two..
I wont be going any faster with the better kit....
But clipless is the way to go :thumbsup: but I just wasted a bit of money...

Motozulu

Über Member
I'd say wearing clipless has got to improve your technique? when you no longer have the option of dabbing a foot down it certainly errmm 'focuses' you a lot more. :smile:

I adapted pretty much instantly. My unpopular theory is that many riders switch to them before their basic riding and machine handling skills are properly developed, and this is where a lot of problems arise.

I have a feeling this post is really a cry for someone to say how clever you were to develop your bike-handling skills to such a high level. :rolleyes:

So let me say how clever you are.

Nonetheless, I think I disagree with your theory whether the above is the case or not. Many cyclists came through flat pedals, onto rat cages and then moved on to clipless systems. Many of us spent decades not realising that we were waiting for the clipless systems to be invented and marketed.

Cyclist who had been riding with verve for decades before clipless pedals hit the mass market still often had clipless moments. I'm not sure (even today) that my machine-handling skills are what you'd call 'properly developed', but almost everyone I know has had a clipless moment.

The list includes casual shopping-run bimblers, keen and experienced off-roaders and formerly fast ex-racers. All the evidence suggests that 'machine-handling skills have little to do with it.

The only people I know who have had no clipless moments are two of my children. One did, but it was as much misfortune as anything.

By and large, the children got into riding with SPDs when around 11 or 12 years old, on dinky little size-4 Spud Shoes. It seemed to help that they made the transition young and without a significant number of clipless-less years behind them. Like learning languages, the change might suit the young brain.

Drago

Legendary Member
No need to be patronising. I was voicing an opinion about the skills of others, not my own.

I am myself admittedly dreadful on a bike, and my fat arriss on a saddle looks a pair of saggy pink panniers.

My only comment on this is... I started with some Shimano 087s with SPD 540 pedals on my road bike and will put them on my mtb next week and I've just got some Sidi Pro 5s shoes with Ultegra 6700 pedals( SPD SL's) and I hate them, I wish now I got the first shoes and pedals again and not bothered with the last two..
I wont be going any faster with the better kit....
But clipless is the way to go :thumbsup: but I just wasted a bit of money...

The Ultegra SPD-SL set-up is what I've got - 6700 too! Probably better on a road bike but I'm using mine on the MTB. I have to say, I love them.

Boon 51

Veteran
The Ultegra SPD-SL set-up is what I've got - 6700 too! Probably better on a road bike but I'm using mine on the MTB. I have to say, I love them.

I did or have read loads of good stuff about the 6700 SL's but I feel happier with my 540's and the mtb set up..

PS.. How you getting with your new bike?.. OK I hope.. :smile:

I did or have read loads of good stuff about the 6700 SL's but I feel happier with my 540's and the mtb set up..

PS.. How you getting with your new bike?.. OK I hope.. :smile:

Yes mate, what with lots of work at Xmas and the weather being so charming, I've only got out once so far but very pleased with it.

Have you bought a new one too?

Drago

Legendary Member
How you getting on with that? Years ago I entered a race and some bloke was using Look clipless road pedals and the mud defeated them pretty quick. We didn't snigger too much.

Top Bottom