Clipless pedals .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How you getting on with that? Years ago I entered a race and some bloke was using Look clipless road pedals and the mud defeated them pretty quick. We didn't snigger too much.

Not so bad, but point taken Drago - they're not so marvellous when dealing with wet apocalyptic weather conditions. Perhaps I'll make a change to SPD and see if there's any difference but would prefer to have the same system on both bikes.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know what you mean. It's a dilemma and unless you're minted you need a common standard. I to use Shimmy 540's on all my bikes, although SPD cleats are fitted to road shoes for use with my drop barred bike.

02GF74

Über Member
Sorry to hijack here, but is standard chain lubricant okay for the bolts in the shoe?

nope - the bolts holding the cleats to the shoes will be subjected to water many times as inevitably you will cycle in the rain/mud or walk though it so being steel, will rust as i have found out.

I use stainless steel bolts instead - no idea if this helps prevent rusting, as what happened previously, as I have not tired to remove the cleats - due to walking the hex socket is a bit knackered so it should be quite an adventure trying to remove the bolts.

sabian92

Über Member
nope - the bolts holding the cleats to the shoes will be subjected to water many times as inevitably you will cycle in the rain/mud or walk though it so being steel, will rust as i have found out.

I use stainless steel bolts instead - no idea if this helps prevent rusting, as what happened previously, as I have not tired to remove the cleats - due to walking the hex socket is a bit knackered so it should be quite an adventure trying to remove the bolts.

Ah ok, where can I get replacement bolts instead? They're just standard Shimano SH-51 cleats. What should I use instead, some copper anti-seize?

Drago

Legendary Member
New bolts come pre treated with thread lock so they don't vibrate loose and water can't get in. Of course, re-use the bolts and you need to re treat the threads.

Top Bottom