'Clipless' pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Time was when every serious cyclist used toe-clips and straps. When LOOK and later Shi**no launched their new style pedals they immediately became known as 'clipless' by virtue of them not having toe-clips. Ive always thought it a dumb name because clearly one does clip into them so they're not exactly clip free. The name also leads to a lot of unnecessary confusion for newcomers to our sport.

I would like to suggest that the pedals we currently call 'clipless' pedals would be more appropriately described if referred to as 'clip-in' pedals. Ive been using the term for years but my solitary protest appears to be having no effect.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

That's a load of phooey: I blame your parents for bringing you up with such pretentious notions......

bonj2

yes, we should rename what's currently called 'clipless' pedals clip-in pedals, like mickle says, and we should rename the old system of toe-strapped pedals 'strap-on pedals'.

if you notice on wiggle.co.uk, on their left hand menu they do call them clip-in pedals.

while we're on the subject of pedals, are 'speedplay zero' the only form of double-sided road pedals?

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
And we could call toe clips errrrr toe clips !

Must admit since I got a bit more serious about my cycling about 2yrs ago the "clipless" thing really got me.

I mean my pedals are clipless !! (with toe clips now)

domtyler

Über Member
bonj said:
yes, we should rename what's currently called 'clipless' pedals clip-in pedals, like mickle says, and we should rename the old system of toe-strapped pedals 'strap-on pedals'.

if you notice on wiggle.co.uk, on their left hand menu they do call them clip-in pedals.

while we're on the subject of pedals, are 'speedplay zero' the only form of double-sided road pedals?

Probably, but then they are the only that need to be. The rest are weighted so that they hang in one direction only.

Mickle, my vocabulary has been updated, thanks.

bonj2

domtyler said:
Probably, but then they are the only that need to be. The rest are weighted so that they hang in one direction only.

Mickle, my vocabulary has been updated, thanks.

they advertise themselves as 'no fumbling', implying the others do involve fumbling.

bonj said:
they advertise themselves as 'no fumbling', implying the others do involve fumbling.

Do you need double sided for roadwork. I remember you challenged me over getting single sided for my roadbike. My answer is it makes little difference. I would only consider changing to doubles if i was doing a lot of stop start commuting on it - are you?

bonj2

Crackle said:
Do you need double sided for roadwork. I remember you challenged me over getting single sided for my roadbike. My answer is it makes little difference. I would only consider changing to doubles if i was doing a lot of stop start commuting on it - are you?

basically I once rode a bike with single sided pedals (i.e. one side flat, one side clipless) at dalby forest and they were a pain in the arse, i kept having to flip them with my foot. But I think they were possibly fairly crap ones, they were the mtb ones that look like a mousetrap.
basically now i only do fairly long-ish commutes on my road bike and get changed at the end, i was curious to note that if i had to change pedals there'd be no reason not to get road pedals. Apart from the fact that i'm suspicious of single sided pedals. (although i don't really see why i would change pedals for the sake of it when my current ones are fine)

One thing I don't buy is that single sided are ok for long rides but not great for stop start commuting. Either they're a faff to flip the right way round, or they're not. If they're not, then they should fine for stop start commuting, shouldn't they? If they ARE a pain in the arse, then I don't see why it's any less of a pain in the arse just because i don't have to experience it as often or more likely am just doing more cycling in between.

Furthermore, if they ARE a faff to flip the right way round, then why wouldn't you have double sided ones?

domtyler

Über Member
Bonj, I have Ultegras on all three of my bikes for the simple reason that they are easy to use for me (I practised and learnt the knack of using them). I only need one pair of shoes. And mostly because they are supremely efficient in terms of power transfer, they make you go faster for the same amount of effort in other words.

bonj2

domtyler said:
Bonj, I have Ultegras on all three of my bikes for the simple reason that they are easy to use for me (I practised and learnt the knack of using them). I only need one pair of shoes. And mostly because they are supremely efficient in terms of power transfer, they make you go faster for the same amount of effort in other words.

you've got road pedals on your mtb? :blush: :biggrin::sad:

Top Bottom