clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
Are road pedals really that difficult?

I converted from old-style toe clips to double-sided SPDs and find that much easier.

No, double sided pedals are easier but after getting used to them, road pedals are pretty straight forward.

GrasB

Veteran
Clipping in is easy, but what not clipping in gives me (& other riders that I see doing it) is about half second over the first 10 meters or so. When dealing with traffic lights & junctions on high speed roads that reduction in time taken to cross the junction/road can be critical. From there it's only a few more pedal strokes to a good speed where I can then clip in & if I do need to look down I've got loads of momentum to keep me perfectly stable. Sure I can't deploy as much power as I could otherwise but for what I need it takes longer to tap into that power than deploying it gives back.

festival, At low speeds the control difference between being clipped in & not is very precisely… nothing & once up to speed I'm clipped in very quickly. As for your Cavendish comment are you really trying to compare a race start with the cut & thrust of riding in road traffic? Because it's one of the most commical comparisons I've read recently. Last time I watched road race start (about 3 min before writing this post) it was a controlled & cooperative get away from the line followed by a short period of settling into a peloton while smoothly building up to pace. Certainly, I didn't see anyone having to cross a NSL road with cars doing significantly more than the speed limit while clipping in, the riders also didn't need to keep an eye out for other road users disobeying traffic lights & ignoring road priories or otherwise messing about. In fact the riders at the front looked like they were doing exactly what I do when I have the opportunity to pull away in a gentle & smooth manner, clipping in firmly then making sure the clip in is good.

Rouge Penguin

It hadn't occurred to me until just now as I was out riding, peddles don't just spin round, there is a fair amount of hold on it. My usual technique is to spin it flat ready, peddle off and clip in. It's second nature, the more time you spend on any approach is wasteful.

If you want to get better, find a quiet road and just practice clipping in and out. Peddling on the slippery solid sole is dangerous.

festival

Über Member
I can clearly see the link between mark cavendish racing and the rest of us setting away from some lights with cars all around us.

I know i would rather be in control of my bike than wobbling down the road trying to get clipped in. If GrasB can control his bicycle in such a way (I can do similar and have no problems) then let it be so.

While I am serious about this issue,some of my comments were meant to be tongue in cheek, I will leave you to decided which ones.
The main thrust is, we all miss the pick up now & then but why do you have to 'wobble down the road' trying to clip in.

I would hope most of us agree the following.
In time you master the click in & when you miss it you have a reserve technique thats safe & gets you going quickly . That's all I meant. (well nearly all)

festival

Über Member
I find it depends on the circumstances at the time. Normally I clip in easily enough, but if it doesn't catch, I will pedal without being clipped if I'm on a busy junction for example, or get away slower and ensure I clip in if things are a bit more relaxed. I feel in control of the bike either way.

Martin

Exactly....
Maybe I got the wrong idea from what some others said, but its seems that some actually plan to fail before they even try to do it properly. IMO.

festival

Über Member
Clipping in is easy, but what not clipping in gives me (& other riders that I see doing it) is about half second over the first 10 meters or so. When dealing with traffic lights & junctions on high speed roads that reduction in time taken to cross the junction/road can be critical. From there it's only a few more pedal strokes to a good speed where I can then clip in & if I do need to look down I've got loads of momentum to keep me perfectly stable. Sure I can't deploy as much power as I could otherwise but for what I need it takes longer to tap into that power than deploying it gives back.

festival, At low speeds the control difference between being clipped in & not is very precisely… nothing & once up to speed I'm clipped in very quickly. As for your Cavendish comment are you really trying to compare a race start with the cut & thrust of riding in road traffic? Because it's one of the most commical comparisons I've read recently. Last time I watched road race start (about 3 min before writing this post) it was a controlled & cooperative get away from the line followed by a short period of settling into a peloton while smoothly building up to pace. Certainly, I didn't see anyone having to cross a NSL road with cars doing significantly more than the speed limit while clipping in, the riders also didn't need to keep an eye out for other road users disobeying traffic lights & ignoring road priories or otherwise messing about. In fact the riders at the front looked like they were doing exactly what I do when I have the opportunity to pull away in a gentle & smooth manner, clipping in firmly then making sure the clip in is good.

I am lucky not to have to cycle or commute in heavy traffic for more than a small % of my journeys, so I thought again about all this .
Having done so I still think you are wrong, but I concede you are happy & it works for you.
As I have said elsewhere, the main point Is you have recognised a problem but IMO have developed a technique that is limiting you & anyone who copies you.
I'm sure what you say above is said in good faith so I acknowledge that.
As for the sarcastic 'Cav' comments by me, I think your answer suggests we are on different wavelengths so best I move on.
Keep cranking those pedals round & all the best.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
While I am serious about this issue,some of my comments were meant to be tongue in cheek, I will leave you to decided which ones.
The main thrust is, we all miss the pick up now & then but why do you have to 'wobble down the road' trying to clip in.

I would hope most of us agree the following.
In time you master the click in & when you miss it you have a reserve technique thats safe & gets you going quickly . That's all I meant. (well nearly all)

So what is wrong with GrasB's technique? which many others use daily with no issues.

My personal preference is just to track stand, then you only have to clip in once a ride.

JNR

So what is wrong with GrasB's technique? which many others use daily with no issues.

My personal preference is just to track stand, then you only have to clip in once a ride.

Can you do that on a bike with gears or just fixed?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Can you do that on a bike with gears or just fixed?

It's easier on fixed, you can do it nearly anywhere. With gears it's more about technique and balance skills but possible nearly everywhere but down hill.

GrasB

Veteran
As I have said elsewhere, the main point Is you have recognised a problem but IMO have developed a technique that is limiting you & anyone who copies you.
Okay so I lose ability to apply maximum power in preference of getting out of the most dangerous position on the road more quickly... where is the limitation here?

It's easier on fixed, you can do it nearly anywhere. With gears it's more about technique and balance skills but possible nearly everywhere but down hill.
That's my problem with the most places I stop is that the road is down hill approaching the junction.

Top Bottom