clipless pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tubbylee

hello,i have recently purchased shimano 105 clipless pedals and spuick zs11 road shoes,my problem is as i try to pull away after a stop i find im having a lot of trouble pedalling to build enough momentum to clip my free foot back in,i find my foot slips off the front of the pedal and i end up zig zagging along the road until i eventually get clip in,as you can imagine this is embarrasing and a little bit dangerous,does anybody know where im going wrong,i have noticed that the shoes have a smooth plastic sole could this be the problem,or is it just a case of practice makes perfect thankyou.

Practice, after a while you naturally wont put weight on that leg until you are clipped in. A wee tip, If I miss I like to forget about clipping in until I'm clear of a junction.

Rouge Penguin

Mate, it all comes with experience. All I can say is try to get a good push from the first foot and pull up the back stroke to keep momentum until you're in. Or try and find the lean spot, where you can stay clipped and wait for the space.

There's no magic formula, you'll soon be clipped in within seconds with a few weeks.

I'll just sit and wait for your first clipped in topple, we've all done it and all that hurts is your pride.

GrasB

Veteran
With Look KEO cleats I didn't bother trying to clip in until I was up to about 15mph minimum, typically more like 20mph. As long as I was aware I wasn't clipped in I could comfortably pedal with the cleat on the wrong side of the pedal which naturally happens if you let the pedal meet the cleat on the upstroke rather than making the cleat meet the pedal.

festival

Über Member
Its practise makes perfect, but also confidence.
If your not careful you will get into bad habits to compensate while you are getting used to them e.g. riding for several revolutions of the cranks using the underside of the pedal. If you do that you will never be in control of the bike.
There is no pedal,shoe combo that you should struggle with.
Those of us who mastered the old cleats,pedals and toeclips & straps and could flick them up, push in, reach down and pull the strap tight within one or two revolutions probably had an advantage when they first came out as we had the balance and confidence, but even we fell off a few times.
Watch the pros and even youngsters and you will see its really about doing it as second nature.
Practise indoors leaning against a wall clicking in and out, feeling for it without looking, over & over. Its not a true comparison but it will help.
Next find a safe place outside and repeat clicking in first foot, push off distribute your weight evenly and feel for the second pedal as its coming round the back,engage and push down just as the pedal is passing the top.

festival

Über Member
With Look KEO cleats I didn't bother trying to clip in until I was up to about 15mph minimum, typically more like 20mph. As long as I was aware I wasn't clipped in I could comfortably pedal with the cleat on the wrong side of the pedal which naturally happens if you let the pedal meet the cleat on the upstroke rather than making the cleat meet the pedal.

Sorry, but I wouldnt want to ride in a bunch with you. Thats dangerous and suggests you bike handling is poor.

GrasB

Veteran
I'd say quite the opposite actually, if you can't comfortably ride the bike when you're not clipped in then you can't control it when the inevitable miss happens & are left struggling. I'm far more in control of the bike now I don't need to clip in immediately than I ever was when I had to clip in as soon as I pulled away. I have the option to stay up clipped with both feet when I want to & because I'm not trying to clip in when pulling away I'm much faster away from the line to around 20mph even than those who do get clipped in first time.

festival, if you think not clipping in is dangerous YOU are the one who should be wary about riding in a group as you clearly can't control the bike properly in less than ideal conditions.

festival

Über Member
oh dear have i touched a nerve.
I think you are choosing to settle for a less than satisfactory situation. If you are meant to use the under side they would have designed it so.
I assumed you are wearing proper road shoes with hard ridged slippery soles?
You might be happy, but surely it would be better to learn to use them as intended.
Of course I am always prepared to be proved wrong , but have you told Mr Cavendish about this remarkable way of getting up to speed.
If you dont think being clipped in gives you more control then what do you say to riders who have raced on road, track & off road and that includes me.
Anyway thanks for a good laugh, It doesnt make you a bad person but keep away from me please

festival

Über Member
Oh well :rolleyes: you would want to ride with me either; If I miss the clip I do similar to GrasB, its much better than wobbling side to side trying to clip in and nobody in my club has ever said anything.

No offence. We all miss the pick up now and then, but mr GrasB implies he does it as a matter of course and when I hear things like that I wonder about his riding in general. It would be interesting to see ,I might be wrong.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
If you dont think being clipped in gives you more control then what do you say to riders who have raced on road, track & off road and that includes me.
Anyway thanks for a good laugh, It doesnt make you a bad person but keep away from me please

I can clearly see the link between mark cavendish racing and the rest of us setting away from some lights with cars all around us.

I know i would rather be in control of my bike than wobbling down the road trying to get clipped in. If GrasB can control his bicycle in such a way (I can do similar and have no problems) then let it be so.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I find it depends on the circumstances at the time. Normally I clip in easily enough, but if it doesn't catch, I will pedal without being clipped if I'm on a busy junction for example, or get away slower and ensure I clip in if things are a bit more relaxed. I feel in control of the bike either way.

Martin

Practice makes perfect, and practicing indoors in a doorway is as good practice as any. After a very short while you'll be clipping in and out easily. It will be relegated to one of those activities which you do automatically with no thought given to it - like changing gear or scratching your butt.

Top Bottom