Clipless peddles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm in training for a charity bike ride. I live in the country so all my riding takes place on country roads. The charity bike ride is in London, it is through the night so won't be as heavy traffic but I'm a bit scared of using my clipless peddles in such a busy place. Does anyone have any advice for me or if I should change my peddles to something else please? Thank you

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
Go for what most people would call Mountain bike type rather than road ones (SPD).
The mountain bikes ones have the cleat recessed into the shoe , so you can walk normally like wearing a pair of trainers rather than slip about like a penguin , also mountain bike ones can be adjusted to very loose, almost to the point of your foot slipping out of the peddle with almost no effort.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
shimano-mt43-mtb-shoe.jpg

Shimano MT43 MTB Shoe
shimano-m520-spd-pedals.jpg

Shimano M520 SPD Pedals

Something like these

What's the length of the ride? Only asking as I wouldn't recommend changing to pedals you;re not used to and then riding long distances.

Just practice stopping and setting off again regularly where you live. Imagine you're approaching a busy intersection perhaps. Also practice unclipping in a hurry in case some twunt cuts you up.

All in all I'd stick to what you know pal, IME we tend to underestimate what we are capable of to a worrying degree :hello:

OP
OP

2006raffles

Regular
Thanks people. I'll take a look at them shoes.
The bike ride is 100k, I've been using the clipless peddles since January. I'm fine getting out of them if I'm prepared (like at a junction) but today I had a dog run out and fell off as I could get my feet out quick enough. I'm worried that in London what with the traffic and all the other cyclists (2000 in total) I won't have time to think. No roads are being shut or special cycle lanes being used for the event either.

vickster

Legendary Member
If not feeling confident, roads crowded with lots of amateur / infrequent cyclists may not be an ideal as many will be unpredictable in a group. I'd stick with flat pedals, I'd rather clipless than toe clips! The traffic will just make it hairier!

Top Bottom