"Clipless topple" = wheel out of true?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Idoru

Inevitably I had a "clipless moment" on my new road bike and fell to the floor after coming to a stop.. the usual "Timmbeeer" fall where I went straight down to my left side, swearing all the way down.

After getting up and getting the heck out of the area as soon as possible due to the embarassment I noticed that the back brake was rubbing in one area as the wheel span while I was putting it away in the garage.

Is a simple standing fall enough to put a wheel out of true or am I liable to have knocked the braking mechanism in some way? What else should I look for when I drag it out of the garage for an inspection tonight?

raindog

er.....
Sounds as if you've just knocked the brake calipers over slightly. You need to loosen the allen bolt, re-centre the brakes and re-tighten the bolt.
I doubt it's anything more.

OP
OP
Idoru

Idoru

Even though it only seemed to be catching in one part of the wheel?

It's probably my normal "glass half full" / paranoia kicking in and starting the £ signs rolling in my eyes ^_^

accountantpete

Brexiteer
If it's just one spot then a small amount of wheel truing may be in order - you will need a spoke key and then have to tighten the spoke(s) on the opposite side of the wheel just a fraction to draw the rim back into shape.

Norm

If it's just one spot then a small amount of wheel truing may be in order - you will need a spoke key and then have to tighten the spoke(s) on the opposite side of the wheel just a fraction to draw the rim back into shape.
IMO, don't just tighten one side, loosen the other side too, it minimises the differential between neighbouring spokes.

Top Bottom