Clipless virgin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

luther

I just bought my first set of pedals and shoes today. Went with Crank Brothers Candy C's (in lovely white) and some Specialized MTB Comp shoes. The shoes were a lot more comfortable than I expected.... just waiting for the pedals to arrive and I'll give 'em a go :smile:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you want to try road pedals without too much expense, i have a set of these http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/outland-look-keo-item146852.html
They are good value for money and are adjustable, they are also compatible with look cleats.

aberal

Guru
luther said:
I just bought my first set of pedals and shoes today. Went with Crank Brothers Candy C's (in lovely white) and some Specialized MTB Comp shoes. The shoes were a lot more comfortable than I expected.... just waiting for the pedals to arrive and I'll give 'em a go :smile:

I've had my Specialized shoes for YEARS! They're so old I keep hoping that they wear out so I can buy shiny new ones - but no luck so far. They've still got several more years wear in them I reckon...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
They look good. Tip practice clipping in and out when stationary, holding onto a fence or radiator in the house and when you do go out on them just remember to anticipate when you might need to unclip, blind junctions etc. You will be fine and it soon becomes second nature.:tongue:

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I decided a couple of months ago to go clipless. Bought a pair of Lidl shoes then looked around for pedals.

After a lot of research I got these from EBC as I wanted the option of not being clipped in and using other shoes. I've only used Lidl shoes so far on MTB. I had toe cups on pedals for years and clips and straps on my road bikes for the last 35 years.

I then brought my old road bike back from my dad's and was thinking about going cliples on that. Got some Shimano 520's and used the Lidl shoes for a few weeks but have now got some dhb R1's from Wiggle.

Only clipless moment so far was first ride out. I hadn't tightened cleats up properly and lost a bolt without realising. When I tried to unclip left foot twisted but cleat stayed where it was so I toppled slowly onto grass verge. No-one around that I could see:becool:.

I think that my years of having clips and straps and having to think in advance to bend down to unstrap has helped. Though as they say "Pride comes before a fall":biggrin:. Must have been a cyclist who invented that saying.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

Well my pedals turned up this morning, new shoes will be ordered tonight, I should wait really (I went to Moto GP at the weekend and spent a bit more than anticipated) but no, food can wait I must get some shoes!
I want to do a 20 this weekend, I know that's a warm up for some of you but for me, an overweight smoker of 22 years (gave up a month ago - struggling) it's a big step.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

That's good to know. I'm not that concerned really Im used to clips and straps I can't see that clipless can be that different, just a different technique.

Benthedoon said:
That's good to know. I'm not that concerned really Im used to clips and straps I can't see that clipless can be that different, just a different technique.
I actually found clipless easier than straps. Occasionally my foot would slip in easy to the pedals but coming out would be a different story. Que a strap moment. The last time it happened was at about 6:45 am on a winters day; nobody had been in sight for a while but somebody had to come along at that point to witness :biggrin:
Generally I found Clipless easier to get in and out of; a more consistent technique. Although I have had clipless moments too :smile:

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
I've just tried spds for the first time, the pedals are fine, haven't fallen off yet :smile: but the shoes I put the cleats on don't seem to have enough of a recess so walking in the shoes is lethal.

Its these shoes Specialized-BG-Sonoma with the silver multi release spds. Is it better to just get shimano shoes or is there another brand that is safe to walk in. Or have I fitted the cleats wrongly?

style over speed said:
I've just tried spds for the first time, the pedals are fine, haven't fallen off yet :smile: but the shoes I put the cleats on don't seem to have enough of a recess so walking in the shoes is lethal.

Its these shoes Specialized-BG-Sonoma with the silver multi release spds. Is it better to just get shimano shoes or is there another brand that is safe to walk in. Or have I fitted the cleats wrongly?
Check how you've fitted the cleats. I've never had a problem with spd and my specialized or any other mtb shoes.

Edit:rb58 has pointed out they're not recessed, there's the problem.

rb58

Enigma
style over speed said:
I've just tried spds for the first time, the pedals are fine, haven't fallen off yet ;) but the shoes I put the cleats on don't seem to have enough of a recess so walking in the shoes is lethal.

Those shoes look like they have a flat sole, not a recessed sole into which the cleat fits. So waling would be awkward. Likewise, I think walking in road shoes fitted with MTB SPDs is harder than the same shoes with road cleats, although neither is particularly elegant.

Also, bear in mind that road shoes tend to have a much stiffer sole than MTB shoes which (I'm told) enables better power transfer and is another reason why walking in MTB SPDs is easier. Having said that, I have SPD SLs on one bike and SPDs on all the others and I honestly can't tell the difference when it comes to power, although I do find the SLs more comfortable over very long distances.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
rb58 said:
[/B]
Those shoes look like they have a flat sole, not a recessed sole into which the cleat fits. So waling would be awkward. Likewise, I think walking in road shoes fitted with MTB SPDs is harder than the same shoes with road cleats, although neither is particularly elegant.

The somona's are spd compatible, theres a removable cover on the sole. I've now swapped the multi release cleats for single release ones and repositioned them. There is a tiny difference in thickness and design of the teeth on the things so the 51's are nearly fully recessed but the 56's were not.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The pedals you ordered are SPD SL .Make sure the shoes are compatible.I may be wrong but dont think SPD and SPD SL are interchangeable.

Top Bottom