Clipless virgin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Banjo said:
The pedals you ordered are SPD SL .Make sure the shoes are compatible.I may be wrong but dont think SPD and SPD SL are interchangeable.

Correct the spd sl uses a large triangular shaped cleat with three bolts sitting proud of the sole like a look keo but an spd is a small cleat held in place with two bolts which is small enough to go into a recessed hole. For spd sl you would need road specific shoes.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
guitarpete247 said:
I decided a couple of months ago to go clipless. Bought a pair of Lidl shoes then looked around for pedals.

After a lot of research I got these from EBC as I wanted the option of not being clipped in and using other shoes. I've only used Lidl shoes so far on MTB. I had toe cups on pedals for years and clips and straps on my road bikes for the last 35 years.

I then brought my old road bike back from my dad's and was thinking about going cliples on that. Got some Shimano 520's and used the Lidl shoes for a few weeks but have now got some dhb R1's from Wiggle.

Only clipless moment so far was first ride out. I hadn't tightened cleats up properly and lost a bolt without realising. When I tried to unclip left foot twisted but cleat stayed where it was so I toppled slowly onto grass verge. No-one around that I could see:becool:.

I think that my years of having clips and straps and having to think in advance to bend down to unstrap has helped. Though as they say "Pride comes before a fall":biggrin:. Must have been a cyclist who invented that saying.

I had a "moment" with loose cleat screws stopped in traffic going uphill foot didnt release over I went.Hoping I went unrecognised but in the vehicle immediately behind me was a friend and his wife:blush:.My explanation of loose cleat screws wasnt heard through them laughing.

i check the screws regullarilly now.

OP
OP
Benthedoon

Benthedoon

I did look into the whole SPD - SPD SL side of things, being a 'clipless virgin' Ive probably done more research than is absolutely necessary, after hours spent browsing for shoes (ridiculous amount of choice, massive range of price) I settled on these http://www.highonbikes.com/shimano-r076-road-bike-spd-sl-cycling-shoes.html good price, good reviews so I thought a good place to start.

They've been dispatched and should be with me in the morning, roll on Sunday and my 1st proper ride (hoping to do 20+).

ChristinaJL

I had those shimano pedals on my road bike and they're fine. I actually prefer the road spd sls as the power transfer is much better for me. :eek: I've just upgraded this year after 2 years of the shimanos to a pair of speedplay light action pedals, pricey, but by far the easiest I've had to clip in and out.

the shimanos took a couple of rides to bed in, but my husband loved them - they were a bit hard to clip out for me, but I'm a lightweight female. :biggrin:

Top Bottom