Close call with bus? My fault or drivers fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclinglover

I met my friend today. However on the way back during the time it was dark. I was cycling in a cycle lane, when this happened there was a bus stopped in its bus stop but It pulled out into the cycle lane at the same time I was cycling by it. I didn’t want to get hit so I had to sort of swerve into a gap between cars luckily they were stopped due to an upcoming roundabout otherwise I wouldn’t of been able to avoid getting hit, I know buses have blind spots on there inside. But this was on their outside. Do buses have blind spots on there outside side or was this the fault of the driver for not checking his mirrors? (I do have a camera I would upload but I can’t as my computers broken at the moment)

was the bus in front of you or behind you? regardless, busses are killers. I try to stay light years away from them. glad you are OK

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Glad you managed to avoid injury or worse and it does sound as if the bus driver was at fault here.
Because you say you have a camera I am assuming you also have adequate bike lights and these were on, seeing as how it was dark?
Buses are a funny one as the highway code suggests other road users should always allow them to pull out, but this does not give them the right to simply drive into moving traffic.
If you have clear footage of what happened it might be worth contacting the bus company as some of them take such things seriously and can warn or give additional training to drivers, or even sack drivers who are repeatedly dangerous.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd say 90% of bus drivers are total winkers, the number of times they used to play 'leapfrog' on my commute was ridiculous what I mean is they'd overtake me only to stop 100yds later forcing me to brake then after it was safe for me to pass them and get back up to speed they'd do it again, as for giving cyclists 1.5metres when overtaking I considered myself lucky if they didn't hit the back of my head with their mirror and I've even had them pull into the curb when alongside me.
Oh and whilst I'm on a rant why are they all foreign vehicles, it is all very well to convert them to RHD but that exhaust that would be on the offside in their country isn't altered so when stopping behind one at traffic lights you've got that 4" pipe belching fumes straight at you especially when they've been sat at tickover for a couple of minutes then pull away.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd say 90% of bus drivers are total winkers, the number of times they used to play 'leapfrog' on my commute was ridiculous what I mean is they'd overtake me only to stop 100yds later forcing me to brake then after it was safe for me to pass them and get back up to speed they'd do it again, as for giving cyclists 1.5metres when overtaking I considered myself lucky if they didn't hit the back of my head with their mirror and I've even had them pull into the curb when alongside me.
Oh and whilst I'm on a rant why are they all foreign vehicles, it is all very well to convert them to RHD but that exhaust that would be on the offside in their country isn't altered so when stopping behind one at traffic lights you've got that 4" pipe belching fumes straight at you especially when they've been sat at tickover for a couple of minutes then pull away.
That's a bit unfair on the Scots!

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Did it indicate? If not then I'd send the footage to the bus company via Twitter.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not my experience, and not really relevant to the situation described. At the moment we just have a single incident that may/may not be a momentary misjudgement by the driver (although still serious). Nothing to gain by adding fuel to a them-v-us campaign.

alicat

Legendary Member
Since you were already passing the bus, the bus driver should have waited if they could reasonably have seen you. If by any chance you were still behind the bus when it pulled out, it may be harder to establish liability. The Highway Code (Rule 223) says:

Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops. Look out for people getting off a bus or tram and crossing the road.

OP
OP
C

cyclinglover

was the bus in front of you or behind you? regardless, busses are killers. I try to stay light years away from them. glad you are OK
It was at its bus stop that’s very close to a pavement there’s a cycle path that continues right next to where it stops. At the time I was cycling past it through the cycle lane and as I said it pulled out of its stop so I wasn’t behind or in front

Glad you managed to avoid injury or worse and it does sound as if the bus driver was at fault here.
Because you say you have a camera I am assuming you also have adequate bike lights and these were on, seeing as how it was dark?
Buses are a funny one as the highway code suggests other road users should always allow them to pull out, but this does not give them the right to simply drive into moving traffic.
If you have clear footage of what happened it might be worth contacting the bus company as some of them take such things seriously and can warn or give additional training to drivers, or even sack drivers who are repeatedly dangerous.
I always have lights when it’s dark. Not just on my bike but also on my helmet and I always wear reflective jacket. Thanks and yeah it was lucky I was able to avoid it. If there was more traffic or more buses I wouldn’t of been able to avoid it.

All buses and large vehicles, hell all cars have blind spots. As above, since you have footage from your camera, you may as well use it, else why bother with one?
I know but to upload my footage and send it I have to upload it to my Latop and my laptop is currently broken.

You did have lights, right?:okay:
I always have lights when it’s dark
Did it indicate? If not then I'd send the footage to the bus company via Twitter.
it’s one of those stops where buses stop for over 5 mins and it only indicated when I was passing it.
Since you were already passing the bus, the bus driver should have waited if they could reasonably have seen you. If by any chance you were still behind the bus when it pulled out, it may be harder to establish liability. The Highway Code (Rule 223) says:

Buses, coaches and trams. Give priority to these vehicles when you can do so safely, especially when they signal to pull away from stops. Look out for people getting off a bus or tram and crossing the road.
I wasn’t behind when it pulled out
actually this is the only close call I’ve had with local buses in my area and I find
I find taxi and van drivers are worse. Also talking about sitting there. The bus stop It was stopped at it waits always 5 mins there as I’ve said in a another reply it only indicated when I was passing it

It will also gas pedestrians as well ! :ohmy:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Did you have lights on? If you didn't then then you don't have a leg to stand on because they wouldn't be able to see you if it was dark.

Top Bottom