Close call with bus? My fault or drivers fault?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
That's a bit unfair on the Scots!
I notice around here that a lot of tour buses have Irish number plates although owned by mainland UK companies.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I notice around here that a lot of tour buses have Irish number plates although owned by mainland UK companies.
I think that is usually done to disguise the fact that the vehicles are not the newest ones in the fleet. The N.Ireland plates are not obviously age related so running a 10yr old coach doesn't stand out to the customers if it is otherwise well maintained.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I think that is usually done to disguise the fact that the vehicles are not the newest ones in the fleet. The N.Ireland plates are not obviously age related so running a 10yr old coach doesn't stand out to the customers if it is otherwise well maintained.
Makes sense. A bit like personalised car number plates.

I not really sure of the exact physical layout of this - but that is irrelevant if the OP was passing the bus when it pulled out

The OP has also said that they DID have lights

Therefore the bus is at fault - the driver should have seen a passing vehicle of whatever type

Personally I have had very few problems with bus drivers - in fact I often end up waving thanks when they hold back to find a VERY safe place to pass rather than passing in a 'only just safe' place. Maybe they are better trained round here?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Straight into their faces ? :ohmy:
Of Cyclists yep, the exhaust doesn't even point downwards or flat but is angled upwards and is parallel with the pavement so that if you stop and put one foot on the curbstone it is aimed squarely at you. this can be quite warming on the knees on a cold commute but as the bus pulls away from a standstill you get a right faceful. xx(

whyme

As you were already passing the bus; the bus is required to wait for you to pass, the same as if you were a car. I general I look at driving fault on the same basis as if I was a car would they have done it? Mind I also ride in a similar fashion to driving (except I assume everyone else is trying to kill me!).

the snail

Guru
As you were already passing the bus; the bus is required to wait for you to pass, the same as if you were a car. I general I look at driving fault on the same basis as if I was a car would they have done it? Mind I also ride in a similar fashion to driving (except I assume everyone else is trying to kill me!).
The bus should wait until it is safe to pull out, regardless of whether you are in front or behind. Putting your indicator on doesn't give you priority over other traffic.

Top Bottom