Close overtakes seem to be increasing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Been cycling now for 40+ years.

Since the end of lockdown I've had so many close passes. Used to get one every so often, but now it seems pretty much every day.

Central pedestrian reservations seem to be the worst. The local council have put dozens in around here, they're just bad news for cyclists as vehicles are always trying to squeeze passed.

I'm trying one of these, doubt it'll make any difference, but worth a go. £6.99 in store at Decathlon (£7.99 online) Takes a small LED light in the slot too.

nc_ohc=P53gbW4MTlIAX_eCrUB&_nc_ht=scontent.flba3-1.jpg

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
As mentioned in other threads it's not easy, but you have as much right on the road as cars. Hold your place in the road until there is space for an overtake. Unconscious intimidation or not, hold your nerve they won't run you down.

All uphill

Still rolling along

Since the end of lockdown I've had so many close passes. Used to get one every so often, but now it seems pretty much every day.

Central pedestrian reservations seem to be the worst. The local council have put dozens in around here, they're just bad news for cyclists as vehicles are always trying to squeeze passed.

I'm trying one of these, doubt it'll make any difference, but worth a go. £6.99 in store at Decathlon (£7.99 online) Takes a small LED light in the slot too.

View attachment 610033
I know that feeling! However I welcome pedestrian islands that make life a little easier for people walking. By staying in the centre of the carriageway on my bike the traffic is slowed closer to our 20mph speed limits too.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Agreed with more close passes, although general driving ability and skills appear to have collapsed in the past 18 months.

I'm seriously considering one of these for the commute: https://passpixi.com/ I've a camera but don't use it much; it makes me fighty :boxing:

View attachment 610036
That's my concern; when I start thinking about cameras I also start looking for offending drivers. Just seems to be how my mind works.

At present I'm concentrating on the best road craft I can manage, lights on and avoiding the places I perceive as high risk.
That may change in future.

OP
OP
Alembicbassman

Alembicbassman

Confused.com
Just had a bimble up to the local Spar for some beers, all lights firing.

The road has those square speed cushions on it, most drivers passed me on the opposite side of the road. One SUV pulled up short behind me due to oncoming traffic. The youth driving a white Peugeot 208 very closely behind the SUV must have had a shock because he jumped on the horn (not at me though).

I'll see how commuting goes next week. I've already had a go at the local council about all the broken glass on the cycle path, which is now unusable.

tinywheels

Über Member
I find the sight of an ancient cyclist clad in a Screaming Day-Glo Showers pass jacket. Festooned with strobe lights and cameras,Wobbling all over the road. Is enough to make the most leery of drivers take a wide berth.

Sharky

Guru

View attachment 610033
That reminds me of an amusing story.
I put one of those arms on my daughters bike. Then she spent a year out in Germany and took her bike with her. But I forgot to switch it to the left hand side!

I hope that pedestrians stood well back from the kerb.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’ve had the opposite where they give 12 feet and nearly have head on with on coming traffic.
Yeah, I feel there's been increases in close passes and silly passes into oncoming traffic.

I suspect all we're seeing is confirmation that idiots are more likely to have ignored all the advice to walk or cycle instead of drive over the last 18 months.

Drago

Legendary Member

Blimey, you must be seriously saddle sore by now!

its been 4 years since I had a job and commuted anywhere, but im still out on the road near daily. Things are far from perfect, but traffic levels here in rural Poshshire haven't returned to pre covid levels, and drivers seem to be by and large better than at any time I can recall.

Thats not to say the loons and nutters aren't still to be found, but they're fewer and further between.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
My experience would be the opposite as I feel courtesy and respect from drivers continues to increase year on year.

Yes, the idiots are still out there but the majority of motorists are happy to give us the little bit of space and time we need.

I sometimes think close passes come in spates and this can lead to thinking it's got worse. I had two in perhaps two minutes yesterday, coincidence really not a dramatic increase.

Top Bottom