Close overtakes seem to be increasing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm lucky that my commute is in that there London. Car drivers on the most are very considerate when it comes to cyclists. Mainly due to the sheer amount of cyclists on the road.

I sometimes think close passes come in spates and this can lead to thinking it's got worse. I had two in perhaps two minutes yesterday, coincidence really not a dramatic increase.
I agree.
And then someone posts or tweets about it. And the few people who had a similar bad week agree. And then it can seem like a national catastrophe!

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My T'pence worth of annecdotal evidence from Manchester is that it has got much, much worse since the Covid lull ended.
I think the nutters got used to using the empty roads like a race track and just haven't adjusted back to the increased traffic levels.
Nearly every ride involves a threatening incident, wether that be a high speed close pass, a near miss at a pinch point, left hooking, SMIDGAF pulling out on you, etc.
I class myself as a very confident cyclist and will happily cross motorway junction roundabouts and take primary position well in advance of pinch points and obstructions etc, but that doesn't stop the idiots crossing into the wrong side of the road and trying to push/bully you into the gutter so they can squeeze through while you rub along the kerb.
I won't stop cycling, but my mindset is changing from not if but when will I get knocked off my bike.

sasquath

I think we have a mixture of drivers who:
A:
got used to empty roads and can't stand 10 seconds behind a bike.

B:
got used to 10 sec commute from bed to the desk in living room and can't stand 10 sec behind the bike.

C:
were always a morons

I'm lucky that my commute is in that there London. Car drivers on the most are very considerate when it comes to cyclists. Mainly due to the sheer amount of cyclists on the road.
What part of London?
I used to commute for one year barking-rainham and those were worst drivers ever. Got left hooked twice, twice only bruises and ripped of wing mirrors. Countless smidnsy's despite 2x 1200lumen(f$#$ng bright)torches flashing at the front and hi-hvis clothing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
My T'pence worth of annecdotal evidence from Manchester is that it has got much, much worse since the Covid lull ended.
I think the nutters got used to using the empty roads like a race track and just haven't adjusted back to the increased traffic levels.
Nearly every ride involves a threatening incident, wether that be a high speed close pass, a near miss at a pinch point, left hooking, SMIDGAF pulling out on you, etc.
I class myself as a very confident cyclist and will happily cross motorway junction roundabouts and take primary position well in advance of pinch points and obstructions etc, but that doesn't stop the idiots crossing into the wrong side of the road and trying to push/bully you into the gutter so they can squeeze through while you rub along the kerb.
I won't stop cycling, but my mindset is changing from not if but when will I get knocked off my bike.
Just to add to the above, I am not easily unsettled by close proximity to vehicles and probably wouldn't bat an eyelid at some of the stuff that many others would class as a close pass, but more and more I am getting those WTF moments.
Also, there is a zero police presence on the roads, and the car drivers know it!

Jody

Stubborn git
I've as good as given up on my road bike for this reason so now it only gets used on the rollers. There are at least one or two passes every ride that are uncomfortably close. The majority of drivers are well behaved but they aren't the ones to worry about.

If drivers are trying to squeeze pedestrian refuges then you need to be riding primary position.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Agreed with more close passes, although general driving ability and skills appear to have collapsed in the past 18 months.

I'm seriously considering one of these for the commute: https://passpixi.com/ I've a camera but don't use it much; it makes me fighty :boxing:

View attachment 610036
This has made a big difference on a lot of my commute. On one country lane with about three decent overtaking spots, oncoming traffic permitting, a lot of drivers simply don't bother trying at all. I wouldn't have believed the effect it has without experiencing it.

At pinch points I shoulder check & take primary and most drivers hold back well.

Of course there are still those few who aren't paying enough attention, who get reported & prosecuted.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What part of London?
I used to commute for one year barking-rainham and those were worst drivers ever. Got left hooked twice, twice only bruises and ripped of wing mirrors. Countless smidnsy's despite 2x 1200lumen(f$#$ng bright)torches flashing at the front and hi-hvis clothing.

Cycling and commuting for the last 40 years in SE London. I don't wear hi viz or have overly bright flashing torches. Perhaps that's why I don't get many close passes or smidsy's :okay:
But.. don't get me wrong. In all those years I have had a few nasty incidents. But taking into account the amount of time I've cycle commuted versus incidents count. It's miniscule.
And trust me, go back 15, 20 or 30 years when cycle commuting wasn't so popular. Todays cycle commute is a walk in the park.

Last edited:

DRHysted

Guru
Depends on the bike. When riding the recumbent close passes are extremely rare I think it’s about 10 this year! Commuted on a “normal” bike last week, the first car to overtake did a close pass, the number of cars that leave correct space on an 8 mile commute can be counted on one hand.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Experience from Hull.

Our local council have spent a fortune installing cycle lanes over the last 2 years with bollards segregating them and traffic lanes. Alot of roads are now down to one lane which, along with the barrage of roadworks at present, is causing alot of gridlock.
The Facebook 'traffic and travel' and local newspapers enjoy running stories on this constantly and the comment section seems to be causing an 'us and them' mentality with the usual anti cyclist comments.
I feel the majority of us cyclists did not want or ask for these and the current issues they are causing has definitely led to less tolerance of cyclists in Hull, from my experience anyway. Ive experienced alot more close passes and abuse of late, more than in previous years cycling especially since lockdown has eased and people are remembering what its like to experience congestion issues.
This being said it is still the minority and seems to be more prevalent in certain areas.
I do consider myself a confident cyclist and generally shrug things off, I made a mistake on todays ride pulling out in front of someone, apologised and we both went on our way.
Best not to dwell or let it put you off :okay:

I've not commuted for a bit but on leisure rides (typically what was at relaxed/ less busy times pre this c thing) Ive found them more busy and full of drivers of both extremes (those really vindictive and those that give you 15ft (even if they risk a head on :ohmy:)). There seems to be less folk in the middle :wacko:

sasquath

@speedfreak my home city of Szczecin (Poland) suffered similar sudden cyclization approx 15 years ago. Suddenly we had stretches of cycle lanes leading to major junctions and cycle boxes on traffic lights. On upside they made it possible to navigate city centre on a bike without using pavements. On downside lights sequences were unchanged, which often meant that only a cyclist and one car could go trough in one cycle. As a result cyclists using cycle boxes were being jumped by disgruntled drivers, in couple cases with baseball bats. Cycle lanes were not separated by bollards, so queueing traffic would block them, and cyclists would smash some mirrors :rolleyes:, by accident obviously, because we all swing our d-locks while riding...
It got to the stage where police had unmarked cycle patrols to curb uncivilised behaviour on both sides.
It took 3 years to iron out traffic lights and another 10 years to extend cycle lanes enough to make them a working system.
As short lane stretch was allowing cyclists to overtake cars that just have passed them, and had do go round cyclists again after junction, as there was no lane past it...

Hope it won't be as bad in Hull :blush:

Johnno260

Veteran
I think it’s people used to driving on empty roads, I had said during the first lockdown when things open up it will be a little crazy for a while.

Close passes I see a lot here.
To many people racing around too fast.
Corner cutting I see loads of this when I’m cycling or driving, if it’s on a windy road people just seem to drive straight and ignore lanes, and cutting corners at junctions I’m seeing way way to much.

Reactions: C R

tinywheels

Über Member
I to commute frequently in London ,its the pedestrians who are the major menace. I have taken to using a whistle now. A shrill blast tends to focus their minds.

The increase in cycling commuters during peak hours and the cycling specifics road features have raised the level of acceptance of cyclist as a road user. I personally found motorists including bigger vehicle drivers more accommodating now. I do recall the days of punishment passes, honking etc. May be the use of cameras helped this trend to some extent.

The reports below shows how much has been done in London in terms of cycling specific road features. It goes towards general growing awareness of cycling all around. The pictures say a lot.

https://www.nweurope.eu/media/2420/cha2-1-london-cycling.pdf

The change however may not apply elsewhere outside London as overall traffic increases in existing road and people become impatient.

Top Bottom