Close overtakes seem to be increasing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Experience from Hull.

Our local council have spent a fortune installing cycle lanes over the last 2 years with bollards segregating them and traffic lanes. Alot of roads are now down to one lane which, along with the barrage of roadworks at present, is causing alot of gridlock.
The Facebook 'traffic and travel' and local newspapers enjoy running stories on this constantly and the comment section seems to be causing an 'us and them' mentality with the usual anti cyclist comments.
I feel the majority of us cyclists did not want or ask for these and the current issues they are causing has definitely led to less tolerance of cyclists in Hull, from my experience anyway. Ive experienced alot more close passes and abuse of late, more than in previous years cycling especially since lockdown has eased and people are remembering what its like to experience congestion issues.
This being said it is still the minority and seems to be more prevalent in certain areas.
I do consider myself a confident cyclist and generally shrug things off, I made a mistake on todays ride pulling out in front of someone, apologised and we both went on our way.
Best not to dwell or let it put you off :okay:
Hull at the moment is dreadful to drive through, I have to go there for work at least once a month, and I think your stuck with all the road works for another five years, is an awful situation and I don’t envy anyone commuting by bike there at all.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It might be 40 minute train ride but you have to get to and from the station, by bus and walking, add half an hour each end and car journey is faster in peak times, cheaper too when you assume factory/workplace free parking into equation. And sorry but 10£ for 40 minute train ride sounds like fairy tale to me, my local cheapest Trainline charges 8.40 for otwo station, ~8 miles journey...off-peak!!!

Nope is £10 return and you could have looked that up rather than try and justify driving. Whoa betide anyone does a tiny weeny bit of walking 😂 They could of course take a Brompton and you know cycle either end.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Experience from Hull.

Our local council have spent a fortune installing cycle lanes over the last 2 years with bollards segregating them and traffic lanes.

You mean like this in Hull? Sorry but there’s no way that was four lane across the bridge before the wands were put in. Barely the width of my handlebars. There are no wands along the rest of that cycle lane in Hull. Plus where is this great expense? Some paint and a few wands across a bridge.

The only reason Hull is gridlocked at times is the crazy numbers who seem to think driving is the only way to get about. Do you rail against on street parking which automatically removes a useable lane of traffic? The latter has been happening for years.

E378C5E8-817D-4E35-BE67-823B73088A3D.jpeg

Last edited:

tinywheels

Über Member
It might be 40 minute train ride but you have to get to and from the station, by bus and walking, add half an hour each end and car journey is faster in peak times, cheaper too when you assume factory/workplace free parking into equation. And sorry but 10£ for 40 minute train ride sounds like fairy tale to me, my local cheapest Trainline charges 8.40 for otwo station, ~8 miles journey...off-peak!!!
plus any shopping you may have bought

sasquath

No I plan around those.
If you can plan your commute for work around peak times then good for you, you must be a nation scale exception.
Northern website quotes me 16.40 for return ticket 8am-5pm Bridlington<>Hull.
My Mazda 3 would cost me ~£11 round trip at current prices. Add weekly bus pass and car wins hands down.

Btw, 95-99% of people would call you mad for commuting by bicycle in the rain and below 10°C weather -> for 99% of people it's bus+train or car and car is faster, cheaper and more convenient.

Don't get me wron, I'm all for decarring our lives but until train stays 2x as aexpensive as car journey(when you add bus fares) it won't happen, ever!

Reactions: C R

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I am lucky, I live where I work.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
If you can plan your commute for work around peak times then good for you, you must be a nation scale exception.
Northern website quotes me 16.40 for return ticket 8am-5pm Bridlington<>Hull.
My Mazda 3 would cost me ~£11 round trip at current prices. Add weekly bus pass and car wins hands down.

Btw, 95-99% of people would call you mad for commuting by bicycle in the rain and below 10°C weather -> for 99% of people it's bus+train or car and car is faster, cheaper and more convenient.

Don't get me wron, I'm all for decarring our lives but until train stays 2x as aexpensive as car journey(when you add bus fares) it won't happen, ever!

That is just fuel cost. Don’t forget all the wear and tear costs. More like £26 per day by car.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Agree to a point but vehicles will potentially always be the primary method of travel and a structured road setup will aid in easing the congestion which in Hull there no longer seems to be.
As much as I am an avid cyclist I also drive so see it from both perspectives and personally dont enjoy the 'Us and them' mentality these infrastructures create.
I'm a motorist, motorcyclist, and licenced PCV driver too (don't ask) so I too can see it from many perspectives.

And no matter which way you look at it, the cars cause the traffic jams. No other class of vehicle does so.

It does not matter which is the primary method of road travel, the cars still cause the jams.

The cars take up all the room, and this is completely unjustifiable when one considers that they are almost invariably sporting 4 x empty seats.

Most jams occur in urban areas where car use is unnecessary, even frivolous. For example, the average length of a car journey in Great Manchester is now shorter than than 1000 metres.

Cars are the primary method of road travel in urban areas. This is wrong. It's inappropriate, dangerous, polluting...and causes all the jams. Not yet seem one single jam caused primarily by bicycles, lorries or jumbo jets as of yet - it is always the cars.

The cycle lanes and other such measures are a means to alleviate the jams, but car drivers would rather be stuck in a traffic jam for an hour than cycle for 15 minutes. That being the case, if the solution is right under their noses and they choose en mass to ignore it, then let them stew in their own juices while we, the enlightened, waft by in our natty new lanes.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm a motorist, motorcyclist, and licenced PCV driver too (don't ask) so I too can see it from many perspectives.

And no matter which way you look at it, the cars cause the traffic jams. No other class of vehicle does so.

It does not matter which is the primary method of road travel, the cars still cause the jams.

The cars take up all the room, and this is completely unjustifiable when one considers that they are almost invariably sporting 4 x empty seats.

Most jams occur in urban areas where car use is unnecessary, even frivolous. For example, the average length of a car journey in Great Manchester is now shorter than than 1000 metres.

Cars are the primary method of road travel in urban areas. This is wrong. It's inappropriate, dangerous, polluting...and causes all the jams. Not yet seem one single jam caused primarily by bicycles, lorries or jumbo jets as of yet - it is always the cars.

The cycle lanes and other such measures are a means to alleviate the jams, but car drivers would rather be stuck in a traffic jam for an hour than cycle for 15 minutes. That being the case, if the solution is right under their noses and they choose en mass to ignore it, then let them stew in their own juices while we, the enlightened, waft by in our natty new lanes.
This is what happened in Groningen; many young people who cycled in their teens saw that relying on a car was expensive, no fun and ridiculous.

It took nearly a generation for the change to fully happen.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Wow, sparked some debate. You guys seem far more informed and passionate than I do so won't get into massive debates and I respect you have possibly done more research than myself, these are just my opinions from experience.
@Ming the Merciless thats one example, further down used to be two lanes, I was not implying it used to be four everywhere. Plus the huge amount of road works being carried out currently across the city adding to congestion
Personally, in my opinion as much as cars maybe cause the congestion and regardless of what's right or wrong in this respect it will always be the case and I feel that infrastructures should be designed to respect this, not the minority of cyclists and other road users.
Hopefully the culture of short car journeys will change over generations but personally I cant see it.
I'll leave it there but respect everyone's opinions :okay:

tinywheels

Über Member
bottom line,trains are very expensive, unreliable, and seats are not available the closer you get to London.
until motoring becomes even more expensive no ones gonna go on the train.
coming out of London Bridge last night, drunks everywhere , the hint of sudden violence permeates the train. Who needs this shoot?
change ain't coming anytime soon.
suggesting I take a train anywhere in the UK is cheaper than a train is bollix.
if it was I'd do it,but for the moment me and Mrs tiny wheels will stick to the car for our shopping etc.
it's not even cheaper for my short commute, but I like cycling and need to exercise.
I could go on but everyone has to do whatever is best for their circumstances.

Top Bottom