Close overtakes seem to be increasing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Not sure about close passes, but the volume of traffic seems to be ever increasing and an awful lot are pretty impatient and a tad aggressive at times.

I went for a walk along a little back road at the weekend….don’t think it’s even a c class road, probably a U. Three or four years ago I might have met two vehicles and they would probably have been farmers or someone living along there. On Saturday there must have been 20 plus, mostly going too fast for the road. Obviously through lockdown they have discovered it’s a handy cut through to get to the reservoir and distillery without going through the town.

Not sure about close passes, but the volume of traffic seems to be ever increasing and an awful lot are pretty impatient and a tad aggressive at times.

I went for a walk along a little back road at the weekend….don’t think it’s even a c class road, probably a U. Three or four years ago I might have met two vehicles and they would probably have been farmers or someone living along there. On Saturday there must have been 20 plus, mostly going too fast for the road. Obviously through lockdown they have discovered it’s a handy cut through to get to the reservoir and distillery without going through the town.

Its the same here, its already a very remote location but the increase in traffic levels is insane, where have all these additional drivers come from?

secret population boom perhaps?

Biker man

I've never encountered the situations and attitudes described by others. Yes, the ocassional close pass, very, very ocassionaly a punishment* pass and drivers who don't see/care about cyclists but nothing close to a battlefield or other phrases people use.

If anything I would say driver attitudes towards cyclists are improving.

I have observed the two people I know who run cameras seem to encounter more bad/aggressive drivers than any other riders I know.

* my experience is a punishment pass is far more likely when I'm driving than cycling. Only on Saturday night on the A57 Manchester heading to the M602 I was tailgated from the Mancunian Way to the M602. As I joined the M602 a very slow vehicle in front made me slow down. I pulled in to the nearside lane at the first opportunity only for the tailgater to scream past accelerating hard, then pull across in front of me braking hard. This is common behaviour and at 65-70mph somewhat dangerous!
They have to be in front of you crazy must be the way they are brought up .

Biker man

Making it a rat run.

Biker man

I've never encountered the situations and attitudes described by others. Yes, the ocassional close pass, very, very ocassionaly a punishment* pass and drivers who don't see/care about cyclists but nothing close to a battlefield or other phrases people use.

I have observed the two people I know who run cameras seem to encounter more bad/aggressive drivers than any other riders I know.

* my experience is a punishment pass is far more likely when I'm driving than cycling. Only on Saturday night on the A57 Manchester heading to the M602 I was tailgated from the Mancunian Way to the M602. As I joined the M602 a very slow vehicle in front made me slow down. I pulled in to the nearside lane at the first opportunity only for the tailgater to scream past accelerating hard, then pull across in front of me braking hard. This is common behaviour and at 65-70mph somewhat dangerous!

Its madness some cyclists leave a lot to be desired on a cycle track a lycra clad idiot came really close to me he shouted get over I shouted get a bell .

LWeleven

If I see more that 12 cars in a hour I’m riding the wrong roads 😂 tho I’m reasonably rural , I guess if I lived in a city or large town I probably wouldn’t cycles . Though there are more factors to all this
as a cyclist a car driver a former motorcyclist , I see things from other perspectives.
there are some idiots how ever many wheels , some arrogant , some rude some dangerous

my solution is as I said , if I see more that 12 cars in a hour then I’m riding the wrong roads .
but that’s just me , not easy I guess if you commute etc

Biker man

If I see more that 12 cars in a hour I’m riding the wrong roads 😂 tho I’m reasonably rural , I guess if I lived in a city or large town I probably wouldn’t cycles . Though there are more factors to all this
as a cyclist a car driver a former motorcyclist , I see things from other perspectives.
there are some idiots how ever many wheels , some arrogant , some rude some dangerous

my solution is as I said , if I see more that 12 cars in a hour then I’m riding the wrong roads .
but that’s just me , not easy I guess if you commute etc
Wish I could find roads like that it's, lawless people do things they would not have done years ago because they can get away with it .There is no police about .

the worst driving I see is generally on the expressways - no cyclists but the drivers are so impatient and insist that everyone should get out of their way NOW and anyone doing less than the speed they want to do is an idiot and needs to be passed by whatever means necessary

As far as cyclists are concerned - the ones that annoy me most are the riders who come up behind me and pass - normally closer than a car would - with no warning or anything. Some say something - 'morning' or some such - which really doesn't help because this is the first time I know about them so it is a shock!
In my opinion any cyclist passing another one on a road should ring a bell - we need to remember that we are pretty much silent and everything else tends to be making a lot of noise.

Biker man

the worst driving I see is generally on the expressways - no cyclists but the drivers are so impatient and insist that everyone should get out of their way NOW and anyone doing less than the speed they want to do is an idiot and needs to be passed by whatever means necessary

As far as cyclists are concerned - the ones that annoy me most are the riders who come up behind me and pass - normally closer than a car would - with no warning or anything. Some say something - 'morning' or some such - which really doesn't help because this is the first time I know about them so it is a shock!
In my opinion any cyclist passing another one on a road should ring a bell - we need to remember that we are pretty much silent and everything else tends to be making a lot of noise.
Driving my car at 30mph through a village with the 3mph limit a chap passed me and shook his fist at me and he wasn't a young man .When cycling with my mate on the a idiot over took my and brushed mate causing him to wobble what is wrong with folk .

Top Bottom